Best shotgun for pheasant

You can't go wrong with a double and the choice of two chokes instantly. You didn't mention if you use a dog or not. If no dog than a 12ga mod/imp would probably be a good choice. My best companion on a bird hunt is one of my German Shorthairs. I have used a 20ga Winchester choked skeet/skeet with #71/2 in the first barrel and #6 for a follow up for years. If I have a shot over 20yds it's rare. Sometimes I'll take the 28!

I'm a fan of the doubles myself. I have several, but my 2 favorites are a couple of Navy Arms muzzleloaders, both 12 ga, both jug choked by Myron Olson of Watertown, SD (the protege of V.M. Starr). Barrels of both guns are choked tight and tighter. With 100 gr. FFg black powder and 1.5 oz. #4 or #6 shot I can blow feathers out of pheasants at 45 yards, if I have the little button in the right spot. These are really fun shotguns to take in the field.

Steve I must admit, that is the first time I have heard of a muzzleloader being used. Maybe we can go hunting sometime and you can show me how it handles pheasent. I think that would be alot of fun.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

My favorite early gun is the 20 ga. Benelli with 3inch #4 lead. After things have been chased I use my SBE Benelli with 3 inch #4 or #6 lead. I use the improved mod. choke in both guns.

Some times for a change I will use a T/C Black powder 12ga.

Originally posted by Stinky Bear:
Welll, not the best ringneck gun but hear goes. My mom used to use a little Stevens bolt action .410 for ringnecks in the ditches along the road. Dad said she was pretty good with it but I never saw her use it. It has a place in my cabinet now, and I have used it on released birds but ya gotta know your limits. Up here we don't have a lot of pheasants, but I have a little o/u in 28ga that is dynamite on ruffies. I may have to try it on pheasant some day.
Whatever works for ya, use it!
Stinky,
I agree with you. I use a Ruger Red Label in 28 ga. The early part of the season I use the I.C. and Mod tubes and later I'll switch to Mod and Full. I use copper plated 6s exclusively. Jim

I started hunting rabbits and pheasants in 1960 with a .410 bolt action that was loaned to my father for me. I had to learn to shoot quick, it was supposed to be a repeater but if you put more than one shell in it it jammed! so it was realy a single shot. after 2 yers my uncle gave me a .410 remington model 11-48 in modified. I shot pheasants rabbits and jump shot duck with it. I even got two red fox with it. It was stollen ( along with all my guns in 73. I replace it years later with a 20 ga. remington 1100 LT. and have used it on just about evrything from doves on up. I reload for it and usually use 7 1/2 one ounce loads.

Back