rebarreling a .243

Not without changing the bolt head/bolt. I was wanting to do the reverse and found out the expensive way...I have a 223 and was thinking about rebarrelling it to a 260 Rem.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm

Replacement bolts, or you could ask around and see if you can find someone wanting to exchange bolts with you. I would but not able to do it right now. I need money for a new barrel, stock, trigger and scope before I start trading bolts.

Last edited:
...or you could twist it to a 1-10" or 1-12" and run the little 58gr. V-max or 55NBT's out of a 243. It would be like a 223 on steroids.
ohmy.gif

yeah i tried the 58 grain hornady v-maxs and they shot great in the .243 . but i just think a .223 would be more economical to target shoot and predator hunt with . lol

Originally Posted By: groy675is it possible to rebarrel a remington 700 .243 .and make it a .223 thank you

groy,
IMHO, the .243 is the most versatile caliber around, especially for hunting. Now you could go to 22-250 which is also good for hunting. But the better overall accuracy is the 260 (aka 6.5)especially if you are using the rifle for Target Shooting which is all I do anymore because of age issues. Personally, I'd leave the .243 alone and just rebarrel it. If I wanted to shoot paper, go buy a 260 because they shoot lights out. In fact, I got to shoot a friend's 260 yesterday at the range that had a Rem 700 action and a Match Grade Bartlein Target barrel with a Jewell trigger set to 6 ozs. O M G.....at 200 yds it made me look like I was a crack shot. I'm having a conversion done myself on a 22-250 to a 6.5 with a Hart Match Grade HV barrel put on her simply because a 22-250 is much more effective as a hunting caliber whereas the 6.5's are going wild in accuracy and winning Target shooting competitions as of late.

Originally Posted By: groy675yeah i tried the 58 grain hornady v-maxs and they shot great in the .243 . but i just think a .223 would be more economical to target shoot and predator hunt with . lol
Do you reload and does the rifle still shoot ok?

If you don't reload, before re-barreling I would pick up a basic reloading kit.

If you do reload, 22-250 is a good option. You can use the same bullets that are cheaper than for .243 and if you load them to .223 velocities your barrel and case life should be good as well. If you plan to use it for larger game as well, you could go with a fast twist barrel that shoots heavier bullets than 55gr.

.243 will do everything a .223 and 22-250 will do but if cost is a big concern, you can't find cheap bullets under 10c a piece like you can for .224.

I think the OP's point is all about cost to shoot. He's right, the .223 burns slightly more than half the powder and the bullets are cheaper too.

The .22-250 doesn't solve the powder burn issue.

It will probably cost less in the end to just look for a good deal on a .223

Originally Posted By: aftCGThe .22-250 doesn't solve the powder burn issue.

~30gr of powder for a mild 55gr 22-250 load, versus ~26gr for a fast .223 load. 4gr of powder is a little over 1c.

no sami i dont reload.i was just thinkin about making a custom out of the .243 i already have . and was hoping i could rebarrel it .223.

Originally Posted By: groy675maybe i need to start reloading lol
If you have a space for it, I would rather spend the money on reloading equipment than re-barreling the rifle (assuming it does not NEED to be re-barreled). Of course if your intend was to shoot the cheap ~$6/20 .223 ammo then you might not save any money by reloading a .243.

Back