.17 Fireball AR15??

jhatch

Has anyone tried chambering the .17 Fireball Rem into an AR15 yet?I thought I saw a .17 Rem AR for sale a while back. I think it would be a super fine rifle and be a great one for night time hunting especially when loaded with teh 30gr bullets.

I am also considering a 17 Fireball in an AR, but then again...why not just go with a 17 Remington? I'm going to build one or the other. Just have to decide which one.

Does anyone know if the Fireball has the same head dimensions as a 17 Remington? It was always my understanding that a 221 Fireball was originally made for the XP-100 from a shortened 222 case. I think the 222 case head is the same as the 223? Anyone? I'm thinking I could have one bolt/carrier group, and build both 17's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CastleRockerI am also considering a 17 Fireball in an AR, but then again...why not just go with a 17 Remington? I'm going to build one or the other. Just have to decide which one.

Does anyone know if the Fireball has the same head dimensions as a 17 Remington? It was always my understanding that a 221 Fireball was originally made for the XP-100 from a shortened 222 case. I think the 222 case head is the same as the 223? Anyone? I'm thinking I could have one bolt/carrier group, and build both 17's. Not much difference between the 2 rounds. .17 rem is not as popular as the fireball right now so factory shells are harder to find than Fireball. Not that that would matter in reloading. Inside of 200 yards the fireball is a great predator round and also the report is not to bad on it either. Would be a great nighttime rig. That is correct on the bolt head it would work with a standard 5.56 bolt head, I think all it would take is an altered magizine maybe and a correctly chambered barrel. I may give it a try soon.

Last edited:
Have you guys found anyone who can make them feed? I haven't seen a fireball AR for sale yet. Would be tons of fun though. Your carrier would be the same as would the bolt face size, but you would want to have a different bolt for each barrel/cartridge due to headspacing.

Originally Posted By: stealthmanHave you guys found anyone who can make them feed? I haven't seen a fireball AR for sale yet. Would be tons of fun though. Your carrier would be the same as would the bolt face size, but you would want to have a different bolt for each barrel/cartridge due to headspacing. I would just build a seperate upper for it.

bumping this thread, any of you guys ever get around to this?

Sounds like it would be fun. I see Remington is offering the R15 in 17rem, but the reduced muzzle blast of the 17 fireball is appealing to me.

Id like to put something together for a pdog gun with a little more splat factor the the .22wmr while still being quiter than the .223/22-250.

Originally Posted By: mtnkid85bumping this thread, any of you guys ever get around to this?

Sounds like it would be fun. I see Remington is offering the R15 in 17rem, but the reduced muzzle blast of the 17 fireball is appealing to me.

Id like to put something together for a pdog gun with a little more splat factor the the .22wmr while still being quiter than the .223/22-250.

Is the 17 rem a new offering by remington? I cant seem to find it do you have a link for it?

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishi saw an AR barrel for a 17 rem in classifieds last week.

Yes I saw that 2, but I didn't here about remington chambering the R15 in 17 rem??

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: nastynatesfishi saw an AR barrel for a 17 rem in classifieds last week.

Yes I saw that 2, but I didn't here about remington chambering the R15 in 17 rem??

Yea, sorry about that. Just looked on Remingtons website and it does not list the 17rem for their AR, I thought it did. But there are a few other manufactures listing that cartridge available.
Which brings up my next question, since the 17rem is obviously more available could a "down loaded" 17rem be as quite as the 17fireball? That is if you matched its performance to the 17fb?

my old midway catalog shows an AR .17 REM Blank (shilen I think) for sale....new to the AR's ..but would be a fun and fur friendly deal.

I put in an order for an AR upper a couple of weeks back from Scott at Specialized Dynamics. I am just waiting for it to come in, and the weather to cool off. I tossed around the idea of the 17/223, and decided to go with the .17 REM because I had read about how fur friendly it is. I tossed and turned over barrel length, and decided to go with an 18in which was the shortest I could find accuracy info on. If I am wrong I will be sure to let you know. I know most people were going with 22-24in, but my 24in .204 is pretty heavy. I have my fingers crossed.

So I'm not sure the original question was answered... Could an affordable .17 fireball AR be built? And has anyone had one built? That'd be fun to build a super light compact upper and mount it to a plum crazy lower. Keeping it about 5.5 lbs...
wink.gif

Back