7mm RUM

layback04

Anybody got any good loads for the 7mm RUM? I am looking for three types of loads. I want a good long range varmint load, for coyote and groundhog. Second load is an accurate load for shooting steel and paper. Third load is a good deer load that the deer would be DRT. This is for a buddy's 700 XCR.

I would consider using some RL22 or RL25 they seem to work well with the RUM.

As far as using somebody elses load, I personnaly wouldnt I would work one up because chamber size varies from one gun to another.

Thanks EJ for the powders to try, I have been studying the books and this is my first RUM to reload for and my powders are more for 308, 223, 243, and 22-250. I don't need specific charges just a few powders that seem to work well with certain bullets.

O' my right shoulder is starting to remember. You own a RUM, load it to the max. I think what ever bullet you use will fit the bill.

I own 4 / 7mm rem mag's. I love 7mm, Mauser was not wrong 100 years ago. All my 7mm's love Barnes bullets, 140gr. I use one load for all four. Just get a Barnes Handloading book and work up a load "OR" what ever bullet you like!! I have a good supply of the old blue bullets by Barnes. I have learned that rocket power is a good thing. Have fun BUT buy a Lead Sled.

I would try the 160g Accubond or 162 SST for a hunting bullet that will duplicate as a pretty good LR paper/steel puncher.

Some will say you could shoot the 168 VLD and have it all.

The 162 AMAX is a very good LR bullet, and a good bit cheaper then the VLD. Behaves much like the VLD, rapid expansion at higher impact velocities which leaves little if anything of the bullet left.

Mine shoots 160 ABs at 3300 with Retumbo into 1/2" at 100 yards. Also plan to work up a load using the 162 AMAX for 1K+

A Nosler 140 partition in my 7RUM with Reloader 25 is best in my Remmy 700.

H1000 gave some pretty good results as well..Both using a Mag primer.

These are my hunting loads.

My 300 rum likes it hot, it kind of seems to be the thing with these ultra mags, mine shoots 180gr accu bonds behind 95 grains of RL 25 at 3400fps, most people dont like to shoot it, but I do, makes me feel like im getting my money's worth.

I'd look at Retumbo, H1000, and H4831. I prefer Extreme powders.

Check out the online Hodgdon data.

For the Varmint load, the 110 tnt will shoot flatter than a .22-250, and hit twice as hard. This demonstrates the futility of using such an overbore round for varmints, as you are burning 3-4 times the powder. But hey, I use this bullet in my 7 WSM, and it does rabbits like some rounds do prairie dogs. Having fun doesn't always have to make sense.

For the other two rounds, I'd pick a Berger in 168 or 180, or a Hornady A-max in 162. I think the 180 Berger would be best. This round will be good for targets, and Bergers are used for hunting too.

DRT is also a function of where you hit them, not just what you hit them with. That is why some long range people favor a high shoulder shot that breaks both shoulders. The animal is often instantly dead, and if not, it will be by the time you walk up to it.

Back