red dot scopes at night

cm20

thinking about putting one on the shotgun, anyone have any pros/cons? almost bought a bushnell trophy 32mm today can switch between red or green crosshairs cant really make up my mind

Thats what I got on my 870! Works great. Bought a 30mm ring and turned it upside down for my 100 led. red light does not overpower the Red Dot
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2153Wall - you scan with a shotgun mounted light?
NO! I dont scan with it on the gun. I only use it for the shot. IMO anyone who scans with it on the gun is not Right in the head!!! What I did say was when I click the Shotgun Light on the Red Dot is Not Overwhelmed by the Light

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: gman2153Wall - you scan with a shotgun mounted light?
NO! I dont scan with it on the gun. I only use it for the shot. IMO anyone who scans with it on the gun is not Right in the head!!! What I did say was when I click the Shotgun Light on the Red Dot is Not Overwhelmed by the Light

I figured so much.

I was wondering about the scan angle, and I am glad that you share the same sentiment on gun-mounted scanning as i do.

Besides breaking a Cardinal Rule of Gun Safety, I think scanning with a gun light is a terrible idea beacuse it = way too much movement, shadow casting, etc.

have a good night.

beagler - how sturdy is that mount?

I'm not worried about recoil shock, I have a habit of tossing the gun up over my shoulder when hiking here to there, and sometimes abusing brush when bushwhackin is required.

Will that scope get in my way?
Will I knock it out of zero?

Originally Posted By: gman2153beagler - how sturdy is that mount?

I'm not worried about recoil shock, I have a habit of tossing the gun up over my shoulder when hiking here to there, and sometimes abusing brush when bushwhackin is required.

Will that scope get in my way?
Will I knock it out of zero?
Both my light mount and scope mount are rock sold.
P7270239.jpg

THanks for testimonial.

Very nice scope - but it costs a bit more ching that I am looking to spend (bout $300 too much - LOL).

maybe I will look around for cheaper alternatives or a used Aimpoint.

it's bout time I upgraded from the brass bead...

later

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45I use a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot/4 recticals. Optics Planet has them for less than $100/free shipping

I just put one in the classifieds make an offer.

The Bushnell looks good and fits my budget. I notice a variety of different models/eye reliefs.

I am making a trip to the gun shop this week and will take my gun to find out how different models fit and feel before I pull the trigger.

Beagler & Others- another question if u don't mind.

Looking at Beagler's pic - I notice no lens caps.
From your previous pics, you hunt in the snow alot, do you ever get the lens mucked up with snow and/or rain and think about putting some type of cap on the ends?

Is it worth the bother?

I've never had the need for caps. I don't call when it's raining/snowing but I've had to clean my scope off with a paper towel when running yotes with hounds a couple times during inclimate. I love using a red dot for predator hunting at night and spring gobbler season as well.

Back