Have any of you guys..........

ryank

I was wondering if any of you guys or gals have shot a black mallard drake? If so what part of the country where you in? What kind of decoy spread did you use? Was he more skittish then a green head?

Anything you guys can tell me I would appreciate it. I saw one in a video the other day and I have decided to make that one of my sought after trophies.

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

Was it a black duck or a black colored mallard?I've never heard of a black phase mallard. They are close in other aspects other than color. The blacks are harder to deke than the greenheads. They are not nearly as plentiful, either.

------------------
B.Pierce
yotewalk.gif

Are you gonna' shoot him or what?

That's exactly what duck tastes like to me. MUD!!! I have some recipes that make it tolerable, though.

------------------
B.Pierce
yotewalk.gif

Are you gonna' shoot him or what?

Ryan,
I have always just called them black ducks,but have heard them called black mallards.I have only seen two down here in Texas.I missed the first one I ever had come in,and killed one in West Texas.They are nice birds wish I'd gotten it mounted.
I don't really remember them being more skittish than any other birds,I guess cause the should have both been shot.It's been a few years so I don't remember the spreads but I know they were completely diffrent,in diffrent parts of the state.So I say just keep huntin and sooner or later one's bound to show up.

Later,
Justin

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

Thanks for your replies gentlemen.

Justin, In the video I saw one in the hunter refered to it as a black mallard.

Rich, mud hens in MN are called coots. Basically if I see one a voice in my head says "Don't waste your ammo!"

Ryan

------------------
NV88280.jpg

I don't know if I am correct on this or not, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am not!! But I believe that there is a difference between a Black Duck and a Mallard!! Some people may call them a Black Mallard, But I truly believe they are mistaken!! Just my opinion!!
wink.gif
See Ya!!

------------------
Buster K.
yotewalk.gif

I think I can shootm' if I can see'm!!

BustaYote,
You are probably right sir, I mean after all just because some folks call ME and old "Coot" doesn't mean I am a Mud Hen.
smile.gif

Back