50 grain vs. 55 grain v-max

moonshine44

I have a NEF Partner .223 that really loves Sierra 52 grain Matchkings and 50 grain v-max. I discovered while taking inventory in my loading room that I have some of both loaded up, so I do have some shells waiting for my upper (DPMS with 1:9 twist) to get here. On the other hand, everybody here seems to be using 55 grain v-max. Do you guys see any difference between the 50 and 55 grain v-max as far as performance on coyotes? I still have half a box of 50 grainers, but do I need to get some 55 grainers and get them loaded?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Use up those 50s, but then take a look at the 53s. I was shooting 55grs (factory loads) but just got my reloading kit set up. The 53grs have better BC and the boattail will make it a tad easier seating. I'm giving those a try, heard some good things from other guys as well. Not sure how they compare to 52 SMKs.

ETA - I assumed you were reloading, rolling your own or factory ammo?

Last edited:
I'd run what shot best in MY gun. Anything in a hp or BT 45G and up in 22cal is going to put the hurts on a yote if the round is properly placed. You just don't want to use a fmj or the like.

Shoot whatever it likes. Try some varmint nightmare bullets from mid south shooters supply. Way cheaper and a dam good bullets. I shot the 55gr HP's they will b my go to bullet as soon as i burn up the 500 53gr v max i have left.

Originally Posted By: rbspitI have a Larue upper it actually groups the 50 v max 26 grn BLC-2 better than the 53's or 55's go figure.
I thought that was my secret load
wink.gif
It's more important that your rifle shoot good with whatever you hunt with. There isn't much difference between a 50, 53, and 55gr. V-max on performance if you miss
whistle.gif

Yep, loading my own. I haven't shot factory loads in anything but my carry pistols in years
laugh.gif

I reckon I'll use up what I got, and go shopping after...

Thanks for comments, all.

It's pretty hard to shoot a red fox with anything and not have considerable damage. Their paper thin hide tears just about as easy as wet paper does.

Originally Posted By: goose_boy The 53grs have better BC and the boattail will make it a tad easier seating.

That BC won't make a bit of difference until your out past 300 yards!

I prefer the 55's only reason being the weight. Both shoot great out of my 1-9 Dpms.

True dmpowder, I'm just a bit OCD. You know it may come in handy if a zombie is running off with my only child at 300+ plus yards in a sidewind lol. Figured it couldn't hurt as long as my upper likes them as much as it does the 55s.

Have had great results with the 53gr Vmax for sure. It will shoot tight groups and is devastating on coyotes. Occasionaly coyotes are shot at over 300 yards and the 53gr has a better BC. I have a 1 8 twist.

Originally Posted By: 5spdMy AR15 load was the 50g vmax 27.5g W748 since they shot smaller groups and was a tad faster.

That was the exact same load I used to shoot from my R15. Very accurate, and killed a bunch of coyotes with it last year with no problems. I did however switch to the 55's. They shoot just as good only I can buy them in a 250 pack.

My new 55 vmax load:

24.1 grains of Xterminator,
CCI primers
AOL 2.240

Back