Would you do this??

CRhodes

Would you spoil your turkey stand to shoot a coyote if one came trotting by your decoy?. This is a question that I've been asking myself for quite sometime and I'm thinking I'd problably give mr. yote a good dose of
3 1/2" #5's BUT then maybe it's a female with a litter of pups??. I don't dare tell the farmer where I'm hunting "I passed up a coyote because I didn't want the pups to starve" He'll show me the door in a hurry!

What would you do in this situation??

Chuck

CR,
It depends upon my mood at the time. I have let a few walk by but for a few others--Kabooom!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com/

I was watching The "truth about hunting"on the outdoor channel a few weeks ago and they got into a situation that allowed the hunter to shoot a nice Tom. While he was walking back to his Cameraman another Tom gobbled. They quickly swapped gear and the Cameraman(now hunter) when to the same spot the first bird was called in from and shot another nice Tom. So maybe gunshots don't deter turkeys from coming to the call... hell who knows I just need to get out in the woods!

Critr,
Just recently I was sitting within 1/4 mile of some gobbling Tom's which were in an area I didn't have permission to hunt. A shotgun went off over there, and I knew that someone had just shot a turkey. Not more than two minutes later the turkeys over there were gobbling like crazy again. I also remember calling in two jakes a few years ago for a son-in-law, who shot one of them. The second jake just milled around there watching his buddy flop around on the ground. I think that turkeys probably don't know what a gun shot is, unless it is fired at HIM. What do ya think of that?
smile.gif

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com/

I had a experience last year on a turkey stand that suprised me. Although I am no turkey pro, I had three huge tom's come in about 10 yards behind each other. The first one fell to the 10 Ga. The two other tom's never broke stride they charged my jake decoy
like nothing happened. I had to clap my hands to spook them. So, I'm a believer that a shot does not always mean the end of the hunt.

I had a coyote pass me at about 60yds the other day while on a turkey stand, just out of 10ga. range. I don't think I would of shot even if he was closer, I would hate to take a pregnant female or one with pups.
Save'em for the winter. (IMHO)
smile.gif

Vinny,

------------------
yotewalk.gif

I'd take the coyote. Turkeys ain't the brightest bird in the nest anyway. We've had clients take a nice tom with other toms and jakes close by, completely oblivious to the fact that one of their buddies just got blasted. We've had jakes and toms attack dying toms in a show of dominance no more than 20 seconds after the shot was taken.

Then again, a twig breaking at the wrong moment has sent birds winging it to the next county. We can know all sorts of things about turkeys, coyotes and deer, but the fact is, most of these critters have a brain the size of a pea and will react any dang way they please.

Happy Hunting...

------------------
Bob
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

Lost Mountain Ranch
www.LostMountainHunts.com

My buddy was presented with this dilemma last Friday. Here is the result.

View

45 minutes later, he shot a turkey 100 yards from where he killed the coyote. We also killed another tom the following morning right near where the coyote was killed.

I agree with Big Jerk, many times I have watched the other turkeys stand around and watch the dead one flop and I have also seen subordinate birds attack a dead, flopping dominant bird.

Dang right, I would. Coyotes don't stink near as bad as a turkey! Yeah, right! I still would shoot the dog.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

B. Pierce

Back