Ruger M77 Mark II 22-250 Target

motox

I recently won a Ruger MarkII M77 22-250 Target rifle.

Do any of you guys shoot this EXACT same 22-250??? and if you do, what reloads are you finding works best?

I really like Bergers in my CZ .204 and was thinking about giving them a try in this new rifle.

Also, I like the temperature stable powders like Varget and RL-15.... not really interested in any H380 loads.

Thanks guys

I have not shot the same gun, but around 36gr of varget
and a 50gr v max"s has worked well in most 22-250"s I have played with.

My best friend shoots one. He loads 36gr of varget with a 55gr VMAX in winchester brass and WLR primers and it shoots bug holes.

I had the exact rifle for years. I ended up selling it because it was so darn heavy to pack around. Aside from that, probably the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. Mine loved a 50g v-max over IMR4895.

Last edited:
I own one but in 220 swift. Mine is the dull gray SS. They are nice guns. Get it broken in then you will know what to load. Varget is a good choice.

Motex,
I don't have the Ruger M77 Target, but rather the Savage Target Grey in 22-250. I have three other M77's (in different calibers) that shoot very well. Personally, I think you have the powders right in that when I tested, my best groups were using RE15 & Varget. I settled in with 34.9 grs of RE 15 as the most consistent at 100 yds pushing 52 Gr Sierra HPBT's. But keeps in mind, depending on your barrel twist and bullets you want to test, each rifle is different regardless if they are the same make & model. Gotta test to find out what your new baby likes the best. Congrats on the win!

Have had this exact rifle for over 12 yrs. My first dive into varmint calibers and still my sentimental favorite. My accuracy load is 33.7 varget with 55 v-max. Also likes the 50 V-Max. Like the others 36.0 is good, have gone even higher.

34-34.5g of IMR4895 with a 50g vmax would do under 1/2 MOA at 100 yards for 5 shots off a bench in a rifle exactly like that.

My dad use to have the exact same rifle and I worked up few loads for it over the years. Always liked and stuck with IMR4895, from 40-55g bullets. Always had good speed and great accuracy. First rifle I shot my "clover leaf" quarter inch group with at 100 yards as well come to think of it. Was using IMR4895 and 52g smk.

I bought the rifle from my dad few weeks ago and traded it for the exact same thing only in a 243 Win. Its showing promise, but I think that 250 was a bit more accurate, at least not as picky!

This was my first varmint rifle also an I will NEVER sell it. I bought it used for $350 way back in 1994 and can't believe what they're going for now. I have over 1500 rounds through it and it still shoots under 1/2" with 55 vmax moly and 37 gr Varget at 3650 f.p.s. It does not like naked bullets at all. It has a very long throat but i still seat the bullets deep using the recommended Max COL listed by Hornady. I can't come close to reaching the lands but the flat based vmax likes lots of jump in my rifle.

Last edited:
Had one myself. Awesome rifle. By the time I scoped it, harris bi-pod, sling etc. I needed a wheel barrow to move it from setup to setup. Hated to do it, but I sold it. Found a used one in a gun shop 2 weeks ago and ALMOST bought it. Still might, I have about 300 reloads still on hand. Shot best for me with a 55 VMax. sub 1/2"

Back