In pursuit of wild turkeys

Rich Cronk

Well everyone, I only have four days to hunt the elusive turkey this year, and my season begins next monday. I am taking an old friend who has yet to bag a turkey, so getting his first turkey will be top priority. We are going out this morning to see if the turkeys have started to strut yet.

Rich,

When calling turkeys, do you go sit in some spot and hope that they come to you? Or do you call to try and find out where they are before making a stand?

RK

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

ryank,
I have been hunting the same five or six area's for several years, so I know where they like to roost, nest and strut. I always scout a lot before season to be sure they are still using the same strutting zones etc. What I do is set up near roosting area before first light in the morning. If no luck by 9 a.m. or so, I move to the stutting zones. I'm a big believer in decoys also. I'm a little concerned right now because I have seen no sign of mating activity yet. One more week til opening day, so I will be out there watching them often this week.

Will,
It seems that every seasoned turkey hunter has his own idea of which calls are best. I carry several with me because gobblers can be real particular about pitch and tone. I called a real nice trophy Gobbler a couple of years ago with a cheap plastic push button type call that sounded nothing at all like a turkey(to my ears) but that old gobbler went nuts over it.

Hi guys,

The turkeys in Nebraska are struttin' their pointy little spurs off. We have roosting areas all over the river breaks on the South and the North Platte, with cropland seperating them. The flocks are quite healthy this year, the winter was'nt too bad.

AZ: I prefer the slate over glass call made by a friend of mine, Steve Harrison of "Harrison Game Calls" out of Oklahoma. He rounds up native woods, lathes them, sticks some italian slate over a piece of glass and bingo, a real nice slate call. Since it's a custom call, its much more expensive and not something I think a novice t-hunter would want to mess with. Downside to slate; when it gets wet, no sound. That's why carrying a box or a diaphram is kinda important when hunting in inclement weather.

Here's a pic of my archery turkey taken a couple of weeks ago. He came up from a hollow near a roosting site, called him in with a few short clucks, I had some hens about a 100' away, he spotted them and had to take a funnel up into the area where I was set-up. He was around 20' away or so.

fea9b65b.jpg

I thought that the turkeys use the same struting grounds and same rooting trees every year, none have showed up this year, I'm wondering if maybe they aren't as steady as I thought. any Idea's out there

This Meriams was taken on a past Spring hunt on the AZ.Strip.Found these birds while on a Deer hunt the prior Season.Have found that in many areas of the state as long as Food and Water are avaiable and Winters are not to severe that the Flocks will be there year after year.As always Predators take their share,the four footed ones and winged variaty.Good calling to "ALL"---
View

Hey Howler,

Az is right, if your water source isn't as predictable as last year, the turkeys may have moved on. They need to be at least a half mile from a good water source or seep. Sometimes, if the water isn't there and maybe some of the habitat has disappeared, the turks will fire up their engines and move on.

But it's still early, you may see turkeys as the seasons change. If some of the habitat has gone through some changes, like high grass that's now been cut, food plot or feeding area that's been removed or plowed over, they can become history quick. Turkeys need to have a safe avenue in and out of feeding areas. Let's say a farmer has cut some crp land which once was high grass. The birds need that high grass as an escape route from predators. If it ain't there...see ya.

If predatory birds have set up shop in the old roosting area, that of course can now become a problem. Lots of variables to consider. Go out there, check it out and see what the situation is. Predation from coyotes, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, opposoms can destroy turkey populations.

Good Luck!

Nice Bird Az!!!!

[This message has been edited by RedMist (edited 04-11-2001).]

Back