best way to get crows to land?

Owl decoy standing on a crow decoy. Add a couple crow decoys about 10-15 feet from owl and a few in the trees. Crow distress and baby crow distress works if you got it on your caller. I just call them in with my voice, I do a mean baby crow distress.

Last edited:
Oh and if hunting with shotgun, if there is more than one around let the first one or two land or fly by. Those are the scouts and their reinforcements with show up. A dozen targets are better than one or two.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: foxtrot400If you are in a tree grove you might get one to land but your best bet is to shoot them down with a scatter gun.

+1 I was going to say, the best way is to shoot them down with a shotgun, but thought I would come off as a wiseinhimer.

Like the others have said...best way to get them to "land" is to blow them outa sky with a shotgun. Smart birds for sure.

thanks for the info... I like to take the hard way out I wanna blast them with a 22-250 or 223 from couple hundo out and wattch em explode, but I guess thats gonna be pretty challenging!

Go to mcdonalds order a cheeseburger and fries. Eat half your cheese burger and go to where you wanna hunt. Put a rock in the mcdonalds sack and scatter fries around it and your half eaten cheeseburger with one or two crow decoys. Best part when your done you got half a burger and fries to eat and you'll kill lotsa crows.

Originally Posted By: cawilson82Go to mcdonalds order a cheeseburger and fries. Eat half your cheese burger and go to where you wanna hunt. Put a rock in the mcdonalds sack and scatter fries around it and your half eaten cheeseburger with one or two crow decoys. Best part when your done you got half a burger and fries to eat and you'll kill lotsa crows.

Is this baiting? Sure hope not. I'm ready to try this!

Are crows even considered a migratory bird? I didn't think they where but I have been wrong before.
I have hunted them like geese before. Decoys, layout blinds and the ecaller. Lot smarter then your average goose and a whole lot smarter then a duck. Really have to pay attention to camo and movement. Great practice for shooting out of layout blinds.

Originally Posted By: zlaj3737thanks for the info... I like to take the hard way out I wanna blast them with a 22-250 or 223 from couple hundo out and wattch em explode, but I guess thats gonna be pretty challenging!

Sounds more like you need to spot and stalk.

Snipeing Crows is where a Ghilli Suit realy shines and remember to camo the Rifle to!!! I went to the Craft store and bought a Tanned Rabbit Hide and some Red Felt. Then cut the felt in some pieces,make it look like blood pooling/running and I used staples to the Hide. Just throw down the Hide and set a Flocked Decoy by it. Set a couple away from it. Your not going to kill 100s but the ones you get are real Trophies!! Oh i did buy some of those Corn decoys but have not tried them yet.

Last edited:
Use a nice center fire cartridge from a couple hundred yards to get the first few on the ground. After that, you may be able to use those for decoys. Crows and magpies are probably the smartest birds I have ever come across.

Tony

Originally Posted By: bhurlebausAre crows even considered a migratory bird? .

yes they are - per the US Fish & Wildlife Service & Treaty with Mexico & Canada.

around here the seagulls would be kickin the crow's azzes to get them sum Big Macs and fries.
laugh.gif

My last time out coyote hunting, we has 20-25 crows come in to my ecall with a rabbit distress, could shot 5 or 6 of them, but I didnt have my shotgun, but my buddy did,he got one with BBB, They were only 15-20 yards away, kept circleing us looking for that rabbit, LOL

Back