Put 3 more down today!

300magman

The forecast here was calling for really warm weather to move in this afternoon, so this morning was the last decent morning of calling for a while with temperatures still pretty cold in the am. I managed to make it out for 3 stands before I had to head to work, and connected on all 3.

First stand I was set up on some slash piles calling into a couple hundred acres of willows. 2 minutes into snowshoe distress, a double was charging in hard. At 120yds, they stopped dead and started acting nervous (i'm not sure what spooked them), but after seeing how they were acting, I dropped the bigger of the 2 with no delay. Missed a running shot at the second yote.

Second stand was very similar to the first, just a few miles away. Again, I started the stand with snowshow, and then switched to rabbit and magpies at 4 minutes. About a minute or so after making the switch, I saw 3 heads poking out of the willows 250yds away. They didn't move for about a minute, so I switched to pup distress. As soon as I made the switch, one of them broke out and started heading my way. The other didnt start toward me until the lead dog was only about 100 yds from me, so I shot the lead dog at 60yds, and never even got a shot off at the other 2.

Last stand, I was set-up in a wind break of trees, calling towards a couple of shallow ravines. Once again, started with snowshoe, and at the 3 minute mark, had another double coming in. They began to go for the the wind at 200 or so yards, but I let them come as close as I could. 154 yds out, they were getting pretty close to catching my scent, so I barked and as soon as they stopped, shot the closer of the 2. Once again, I missed a shot at the double.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera today, so I wasn't able to get any field photos of the yotes
cursing.gif
As soon as I got home, my wife being the good gal she is, threw my camo in the wash while I was showering getting ready for work, so I couldn't even fake a field photo! haha! I just took the pic in a field right by my house before heading to work, but it [beeep] me off that I forgot my cam, as I really like taking field photos of them.

DSC02991.jpg

All 3 yotes were males, and actually still had really nice fur on them. I was using a Mossberg 4x4 in .25-06, a bog-pod USR shooting rest and my trusty FX3. Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:
Nice job, looks like you and that BogGear tripod are getting along real well. Anything you don't like about it yet?

Back