favorite bullets for the 280 remington??

cowpoke

Hi all,

What are your favorite bullets for deer and black bear sized game that you have found to provide excellent performance on the game and above average accuracy out of the rifle.

I have a Rem 700 bdl stainless steel in 280 that has been sitting around doing not much of anything that I have gotten an itch to work something up for.

I have a few ideas of my own, but am curious as to what others have found to be good choices.

thanks.

My pet load for Indiana whitetails out of my Encore pistol in 7x57 Ackley Improved has been the Sierra 120 grain pro hunter at 2975fs. Accuracy and terminal performance has been outstanding. I highly recommend this for deer size game although it is likely a little light for bear.

Good luck

B...

I think a 140 gr Sierra Gk would be a great bullet in a 280. I've used them at 7 rm speeds with great results on some bulky PA white-tail.

Speer 130 gr spitzers w/RL-19 @ 2850 fps out of a Remington 7400 in .280 Rem, puts 3 shots @ 3/4", 5 shots opens up to 1-1/8".
I took two prairie goats out of Wyoming last Oct with that load. I can't remember the grains of powder but it was just above middle of the road in "Lee Modern Reloading Guide".

Last edited:
I've only tried 140 reloads and 150gr factory in mine so far.Either would be great for deer/bear.FWIW the Federal 150gr load is wicked accurate in my Ruger giving the tightest groups I've ever seen in person.I'd be VERY surprised if I can get better loading my own.But VERY,VERY happy!!!!

I have been using the factory 140 gr CT ballistic tips with good success. Just getting my 1st batch of reloads done and I will be trying 150 grain CT ballistic tips and 150 grain partitions with imr4350 this spring. Too cold for range work for me right now.

140 TSX has always been good for me, although I have shot a few deer using the 120 TSX and really can't see any difference.

To tell the truth the TSX is probably more bullet than I need for Whitetails in this part of the country, where 175 lbs is a nice one, but I'd rather be overgunned than under. The 140 or 150 should be just right for your Wisconsin brutes.

I have a T/C Encore Pro-Hunter chambered in 280 Rem and I've had great results with 140gr Nosler ballistic tips,Accubonds and Sierra Gamekings! I haven't used the ballistic tips or Accubonds hunting but I have taken a couple of deer and 3 hogs that weighed 200lbs plus in southeast GA with the 140gr Gamekings and they worked great.

I'm using IMR-4831 with the Ballistic tips and Gamekings and H4831sc with Accubonds and I'm getting 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with thse bullets.

Shot a ton of deer and a bear with the 140gr Ballistic Tip. Always performed well. 140 Accubond is what I am loading now. I would shoot the Barnes 140gr TSX if it shot well. Haven't tried it in my latest 280 yet.

Back