Zeiss conquest vs leupold vx3

Melonhead

I just got a tc venture and Im wondering weather to get zeiss conquest in 3 to 9or a leupold vx 3 in 2.5 to 8. Can you guys give me some pros and cons for each and witch one would you get.

Last edited:
I've shot Nikon, a few loopy's, and alot of cheepo scopes through the years and recently just purchased a rifle with a Conquest on it. It is a really nice piece of glass!! Its my first Zeiss, hopefully not my last.

Definately go Zeiss if you go 3-9x40 that is their bargain scope and price shop around, you may still find one for $399 last years price where this year its $499. Be quick this is the time of year all optics take their price increase. The glass in the Zeiss is way better. Leupold does make several scopes that I really like their FX3 6x42 with long range duplex has a balistic reticle that works very well and it is an extremely bright scope however it will cost a little more than the Conquest 3-9 with duplex. With a Zeiss if you should want to have the target knobs installed aftermarket you can send it back to the factory and have that done for a reasonable price. If you want special features like a balistic reticle look at the Zeiss in the 4.5-14x44 model. If you want illumination look at a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 illuminated mil-dot and use the dots for hold over marks.

Call it what you like but if you look in Leupold's own catelogue their 2.5 is much closer to 3 than it is to 2.5 and the high end of that scope is much closer to 9 than it is to 8 so merely semantics. Just like their 4.5-14 is really much closer to 5 than it is to 4.5

Last edited:
They also do make several 3-9 scopes in their other lines.
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Stock # - LEU113771

Leupold 3-9x33 Mark AR Rimfire E.F.R. Riflescope

Stock # - LEU003933

Leupold 3-9x40 Mark AR Riflescope

Stock # - LEU67160
Leupold 3-9x40 Rifleman Riflescope

Stock # - LEU56160
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-1 UltimateSlam Riflescope

Stock # - LEU113879
Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II Riflescope

Stock # - LEU003940

ETC

I just call it what is stamped on it,I just take it for granted they know what to stamp.The OP was asking about a scope that doesn't exist.I know they make several 3X9's, but they do not make one in the VX3. Leupold specs the 2.5X8 @ 2.6 X 7.8, which I would call closer to 8 than 9.Originally Posted By: UrimaginaryfrndCall it what you like but if you look in Leupold's own catelogue their 2.5 is much closer to 3 than it is to 2.5 and the high end of that scope is much closer to 9 than it is to 8 so merely semantics. Just like their 4.5-14 is really much closer to 5 than it is to 4.5

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and sorry about my confusion about the leupold I was looking at the 2.5 to 8. But I just found a ziess for $370 but it's out of stock and now I know why.

I have several Leupold VX-III scopes and one Zeiss Conquest. The Zeiss is clearer and brighter. Don't know how much better the VX3 line is over the VX-III line though.

I don't own a Ziess but my buddies do and they are very clear glass. For most they are probably more popular in the VX3/Conquest decision. However, I constantly tinker with things and one of my VX3's has a CDS turret on top and I am planning on sending another VX3 in for an M1 elevation knob. What does that have to do with Ziess? You have to spin their turrets "backwards" compared to the majority of the rest and I aint having that.

Both of my VX3's are 3.5-10x40. I will be buying a 2.5-8 in the future and may even get an M1 on that.

I have several rifles and scopes and have owned literally scores of others. My all time favorite hunting rifle/scope combination is the TC Venture .308 with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x36. This scope is over 20 years old and I think it is as good if not better than the Zeiss. The Zeiss glass is great for sure. It is clear and bright but in my opinion Zeiss has one major drawback. The Conquest has a much smaller eyebox and shorter eye relief than the Leupold. To me and again this is just my opinion from experience. If you have to move your head around and hold it just perfect it does not matter how good the glass is.

Originally Posted By: meat hunter...My all time favorite hunting rifle/scope combination is the TC Venture .308 with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x36. This scope is over 20 years old and I think it is as good if not better than the Zeiss. The Zeiss glass is great for sure. It is clear and bright but in my opinion Zeiss has one major drawback. The Conquest has a much smaller eyebox and shorter eye relief than the Leupold. To me and again this is just my opinion from experience. If you have to move your head around and hold it just perfect it does not matter how good the glass is.

Really? your 20yr old leupy is "as good or better" than a zeiss. you either haven't compared the two side by side or your eyes need to be checked. and as far as the "drawbacks" you mentioned: mount the scope correctly and that "drawback" goes away.

the zeiss is better in every way. UNLESS you have a preference in what you want the scope to do in which case the Leup may offer something that you would prefer.

Originally Posted By: nightcaller Originally Posted By: meat hunter...My all time favorite hunting rifle/scope combination is the TC Venture .308 with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x36. This scope is over 20 years old and I think it is as good if not better than the Zeiss. The Zeiss glass is great for sure. It is clear and bright but in my opinion Zeiss has one major drawback. The Conquest has a much smaller eyebox and shorter eye relief than the Leupold. To me and again this is just my opinion from experience. If you have to move your head around and hold it just perfect it does not matter how good the glass is.

Really? your 20yr old leupy is "as good or better" than a zeiss. you either haven't compared the two side by side or your eyes need to be checked. and as far as the "drawbacks" you mentioned: mount the scope correctly and that "drawback" goes away.

the zeiss is better in every way. UNLESS you have a preference in what you want the scope to do in which case the Leup may offer something that you would prefer.

I have been mounting and sighting in scopes of all kinds for people for more than 30 years. I average 40 to 60 every year. I know very well how to mount a scope to a rifle. I have mounted and sighted in several 3-9x40 Conquests just in the last 5 months on guns ranging from the .17 HMR to the 300 Win Mag and I stick by my statement. Sitting behind a Conquest on 9 power mounted to a 300 Win Mag is not fun. If you think the Zeiss is all that then by all means go for it. I on the other hand do not agree that they are better than a Leupold Vari X III, VXIII or VX3 in every way for the reasons I stated in my previous post. Eyebox and eye relief goes to the Leupold. Brightness goes to Zeiss but not by a big margin. At least not enough of a margin to give up the ease of finding the sweet spot behind a scope that the better Leupolds offer.

Originally Posted By: meat hunterOriginally Posted By: nightcaller Originally Posted By: meat hunter...My all time favorite hunting rifle/scope combination is the TC Venture .308 with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x36. This scope is over 20 years old and I think it is as good if not better than the Zeiss. The Zeiss glass is great for sure. It is clear and bright but in my opinion Zeiss has one major drawback. The Conquest has a much smaller eyebox and shorter eye relief than the Leupold. To me and again this is just my opinion from experience. If you have to move your head around and hold it just perfect it does not matter how good the glass is.

I have been mounting and sighting in scopes of all kinds for people for more than 30 years. I average 40 to 60 every year. I know very well how to mount a scope to a rifle. I have mounted and sighted in several 3-9x40 Conquests just in the last 5 months on guns ranging from the .17 HMR to the 300 Win Mag and I stick by my statement. Sitting behind a Conquest on 9 power mounted to a 300 Win Mag is not fun. If you think the Zeiss is all that then by all means go for it. I on the other hand do not agree that they are better than a Leupold Vari X III, VXIII or VX3 in every way for the reasons I stated in my previous post. Eyebox and eye relief goes to the Leupold. Brightness goes to Zeiss but not by a big margin. At least not enough of a margin to give up the ease of finding the sweet spot behind a scope that the better Leupolds offer.

all i can say is that you optometrist should be making more money than he is.

Originally Posted By: nightcallerOriginally Posted By: meat hunterOriginally Posted By: nightcaller Originally Posted By: meat hunter...My all time favorite hunting rifle/scope combination is the TC Venture .308 with a Leupold Vari X III 2.5-8x36. This scope is over 20 years old and I think it is as good if not better than the Zeiss. The Zeiss glass is great for sure. It is clear and bright but in my opinion Zeiss has one major drawback. The Conquest has a much smaller eyebox and shorter eye relief than the Leupold. To me and again this is just my opinion from experience. If you have to move your head around and hold it just perfect it does not matter how good the glass is.

all i can say is that you optometrist should be making more money than he is.

Ok I understand now. If someone does not agree with your OPINION you resort to insults. Shows me a lot about you sir.

Last edited:
I hear the conquest is really a great scope.

I have the 1.5-5x20 vx3 and its amazing. However look at the way the eye relief changes as you change the power on the leupy. The changing eye relief is tolerable on the model I have but it has the least change. The other scopes have twice as much change and I don't think I could tolerate that. I highly recomend the scope I have. Once you go down to these low power scopes you may never go back and you can just toss your shotgun in the trash as it will be obsolete for predators!

Hey guys schott which is the parent company of ziess grinds leupolds lens.get the vx3 they are sweet scopes,i can see through my 6.5-20's at night with out artifical light.if i have snow on the ground it can be pitch black no moon and i can see.

I have one Conquest scope (that's it in my avatar) but would have more if I were buying scopes today. I have lots of Leupolds and love them dearly, but make no mistake about it, if I were buying new glass today I would look no further than a Zeiss Conquest.

Little irks me more than to see someone with a $1000 rifle with an $79 scope on it but hey- it's their gun not mine. But if I had Zeiss scopes and only Zeiss scopes on all of my guns I would have no complaints.

Back