Cost of bobcat mounts?----Picture added

I phoned a long-time taxidermist friend just recently, inquiring about mounting the large cat I got back in November. Bobcats were his speciality in competitions years ago. He priced it at $400.

Originally Posted By: cathntr
DSC_0497.jpg

What do you guys think of this mount? Its kind of hard to tell from this angle but someone obviously thinks it looks good for him to win an award. One of the local taxis im talking to mounted it. Im supposed to go look at some more he did in person this week sometime.

I'd look into feline behavior to make sure the mount reflects what you want it to. For instance, the cat above looks to be stalking prey...if so, the ears would be in a different position, I think. When cats fight, their ears go out to the sides. I may be wrong, but this is what I've observed.

Here's mine. It cost me $800.00 and is well worth it. As far as cats are concerned, I think you get what you pay for. Cats are tough and take a lot of really delicate sculpting in the face area. I've seen guys shell out between $300-$500 for really poor mounts. My advice would be to check out several of the taxidermists cat mounts and go by that. A guy or gal that can put together a really good cat is an artist. Good luck.
011-bobcat.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

Last edited:
Recently shot a very large tom and took it in to a S. Tx. taxidermist who has done several deer mounts for me. His base price for full body mount without habitat is $700. Since he does excellent work and the fact that I am running out of floorspace, I gave him measurements of available floor space, gritted my teeth and asked him to do a mount similar to this one in his shop:

Bobcat25009.jpg

Bobcat25008.jpg

Started saving my pennies and by the time it is finished next November should be able to get it out of hock.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I phoned a long-time taxidermist friend just recently, inquiring about mounting the large cat I got back in November. Bobcats were his speciality in competitions years ago. He priced it at $400.

Does he do work commercially still? If he does, what is his shop name?
Thanks

I agree with Switch. Do your research. Most mounts of bobcats that I see look very bad in the face. It is pretty rare to see a great bobcat mount.

Here's a cat that my local taxidermist did for me to set on my mantle. I think he charges in the $350-$400 range? I'm not sure though, he did mine for free.
001.jpg

I was extremely pleased with the realism of this cat. Honestly I can't see paying double that and getting one much better. Of course everyone always thinks that their "own" cat looks the best. One thing I always notice is what color they paint the nose. A lot of taxi's paint them black, which is not correct. Also the bright orange or pink noses look kind of odd too. The ones that can blend the colors for realism get my vote! A lot of pretty cats in this thread. They are by far my favorite animal in the trophy room!

Love the face on that cat Jason. Most mounts I see look like the cat just had a bath with no flare to the cheek hair and drawn down bodies. I like a full, fluffy looking cat. They groom more than any animal out there, they should look full and clean with squinty eyes.

No artist by a$$, those look great, I would have you mount mine anytime, but I have a friend that does mine for the cost of the mounts : ) That is some mighty fine work nofiveo , you should be pleased!!

Here's one that's almost 20 years old that's setting on my parents' entertainment center. I took this picture Saturday, and I don't think it has been dusted in 20 years either! I think it was $350 or $400 then.

Bobcat1.jpg

nofiveo thank you for the compliment/recommendation. I joined this site for hunting and didn't expect to see my name on here!

cathntr in Missouri prices range anywhere from $300 to $1000+. $450 isn't high as long as you like the way it turns out.

It's cool seeing all these cat mounts! I especially like the one laying on the couch.

Originally Posted By: nofiveoWell, I'm no artist, but these are my work. All have been posted here before, but I've got another in the works.

100_3469.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_2865.jpg

100_2847.jpg

100_2848.jpg

Your work is excellent , my hang up on the cats i've seen are their eyes yours are the best I've seen....excellent job !!!

Back