6.5 Grendel Vs 6.8 spc help!

Read this link all the way to the bottom before thinking about using this for elk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.5mm_Grendel

Bullets penetrated .5" to 3.5" before yawing and fragmenting, which is perfect for deer. A doe is only 6" thick between the ribs where the heart is located and a big buck maybe 8".

Also note to get the speed the creator use a 30" barrel...on an AR15 no less! Then do some searches and learn the real reason the 6.5G was no released for production. It is over pressure and not safe in a AR15 platform. The company that owned is keep the patten not because they wanted all the money, because it wasn't safe to release. Look it up here:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6-5-grendel-cartridge-guide/

I could post a few more links but Google is your friend. Let's jus say there is a reason the military didn't bite and developed the 6.8 SPC. I'm not overly impressed with it either because it just isn't fast enough for my taste. A few searches on the same sights will shine the light.
smile.gif

Those penetration tests were performed using match and FMJ bullets and are not an indication of how a good hunting bullet will perform on game animals. Other 6.5mm cartridges with similar muzzle velcoities have a good reputation on big game with proper bullets, the 6.5 G is no different.

Now that the 6.5 Grendel is a SAMMI approved cartridge we will likely start to see a good variety of different loads available for the cartridge and for handloaders there is a great selection of good 6.5 mm hunting bullets.

I saw in another discussion where someone put it as "the 6.8 is an attempt to improve on the shortcomings of the 5.56x45, while the 6.5 is an attempt to come closer to the advantages of the 7.62x51" - take that for what it's worth.

I have both but have never hunted with either.

The military never developed the 6.8 SPC Remington did. And the military never even tested the Grendel, which as longreange2 stated is a Sammi cartridge. So neither part the that statement are accurate.

Originally Posted By: MPFDThe military never developed the 6.8 SPC Remington did. And the military never even tested the Grendel, which as longreange2 stated is a Sammi cartridge. So neither part the that statement are accurate.

Thanks for that info MPFD. I have been interested (usually turns into a purchase..lol) in a 6.5 for some time and when I read that post was like
confused.gif

Sorry, I typed they in a hurry. The intent was to develop it for the military, where is is in fact used today by special force groups. The test showed it had better terminal performance that the 6.5G...or any other 6.5 submited for he test.

I can only speak for the Grendel as I own one along with a 308. I have taken several pigs up to 275 lbs and 4 deer with the Grendel and it does a great job with 120gr Nosler Ballistic tips. It is not a 308 nor near a 308 when it come to the terminal performance as dictated by the insides of the animals. I dont concern myself with what is said on paper other than a starting point. I let the animals do the talking so-to-speak. I do love my Grendel because it is light and has a great bang for the size. I have read several articles about the near 308 performance and I just have not seen it when it comes to damage. Still a great round for deer and pigs. I dont think you will be disappointed with one.

Originally Posted By: ZombieMaxSorry, I typed they in a hurry. The intent was to develop it for the military, where is is in fact used today by special force groups. The test showed it had better terminal performance that the 6.5G...or any other 6.5 submited for he test.

Can you show me any documentation of SOP using the round?

Bwahahahahahhahahahaahahah.... Must have the pressure issue fixed now since they did release the rights and now its a SAMMI cartridge. The 6.5 Grendel is a bad dude for what it is. I didnt buy mine to replace a .308.. Cause its not. But for what it is and the fact it is still on a AR-15 platform makes it sweet. My 6.5 grendel with scope weighs about 7.8 lbs. My .308 AR weighs almost 12 lbs.. So for what it is, it is a sweet round and a hammer from what I have seen so far. The 6.8 is nice too but I look at both hard and went Grendel.

Last edited:
The 6.8 SPC (6.8x43mm) was initially developed by MSG Steve Holland and Chris Murray a United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

There are a few documented cases of it being used, some of which can be found online.

My understanding is you can use an adjustabel port to help off set the pressure and also control some of the feeding issues people have with it. It does look good on paper and with partition it does okay. Myself...I'd just stick with the 260 if I wanted a 6.5 or go with the creedmore which is only 100fps off of it.

Originally Posted By: ZombieMaxThe 6.8 SPC (6.8x43mm) was initially developed by MSG Steve Holland and Chris Murray a United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

There are a few documented cases of it being used, some of which can be found online.

My understanding is you can use an adjustabel port to help off set the pressure and also control some of the feeding issues people have with it. It does look good on paper and with partition it does okay. Myself...I'd just stick with the 260 if I wanted a 6.5 or go with the creedmore which is only 100fps off of it.

This was my thought exactly. The .260 is the beast no doubt. Thats why Scott at SD is building me one right now. But I wanted a light weight longer range AR too so went with the Grendel as well. So I have the best of both worlds and they use the same bullets... SWEET!!!!!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ZombieMaxThe 6.8 SPC (6.8x43mm) was initially developed by MSG Steve Holland and Chris Murray a United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

The 260 is in a AR10 platform not the AR15 so that is besides the point in this post isn't????

I don't see why people always try to compare these two rounds as they were both intended for different reasons!

ZombieMax let me ask you of which of the two do you own?? And please do provide links to where the SOP used the 6.8!

I built my 6.8 SPC to give me more energy from an AR-15 platform on large coyotes. The 6.8 is working perfectly on called coyotes, but I don't care for it as a spot and stalk open country rifle. If I'm going to hunt around open fields I use a bolt action in .22-250 or .243 Winchester. in open country I can go to kneeling and make a 250 yard shot, when a bedded coyote stand up, with these bolt action rifles. I'm not comfortable trying it with my 6.8 and won't attempt it. When I'm calling from thickets it's my 16" 6.8 SPC, which I think has no rival as a quick handling easy swinging brush gun. No different than when hunting with any other AR. I don't use them for long range open country hunting. Each rifle has its strong points. Use the right tool for the job.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: ZombieMaxThe 6.8 SPC (6.8x43mm) was initially developed by MSG Steve Holland and Chris Murray a United States Army Marksmanship Unit.

The 260 is in a AR10 platform not the AR15 so that is besides the point in this post isn't????

I don't see why people always try to compare these two rounds as they were both intended for different reasons!

ZombieMax let me ask you of which of the two do you own?? And please do provide links to where the SOP used the 6.8!

Sometimes, the SPC hate in this forum makes me quite nauseated. Nonetheless, the SOP stuff, I assumed, was as quotable and understood as Bill Alexander requiring Grendel royalties to manufactures of his goodies prior to submitting to SAAMI.

Links:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.8-mm-spc-cartridge-history-development-hornady-stag-arms-carbine/

http://www.gun-shots.net/6-8-spc.shtml

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/6-8-spc-ballistics/

From Doc Roberts... the leading man on the 6.8SPC
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

I love the 6.8 SPC! My brother has one and it is a honey Brandon...
wink.gif
What I really like about it is the more he shoots it the more brass I have for my WOA...
thumbup1.gif

I will probably build one someday just like his, for another deer pushing rifle.

Looks like this topic can be added to the "which is better topics" that will rage on for eternity such as 3006 vs 270 , Ford vs Chevy, and so on......

Back