Mid January Calls

DuVy38

I am new to coyote hunting. Well, let me re-phrase, I'm new to calling coyotes. I spend a ton of time in the Kansas countryside and have shot a lot of dogs in my day. I am looking to start calling and adding some sport to my coyote shooting instead of shooting the occational yote while cruising the country. I have a couple rifles that would do the job, but am looking for advice as to how to set up whats my best gun for the job (I own a .308 and a .22mag) most of my yote hunting will be late dec on since Im chasing other game during the winter seasons.Also best call for times of year. I have a electronis call, but don't know what call to go with ie...distress, yelp, howl, ect...any advise is welcome. thanks again and im happy to have found a place where i can get such great advice and meet new friends

Hi Eastern neighbor. For a new caller I would offer the following.

Pick an area you know or hope has coyotes...I'm sure you're already thinking, "No chit Sherlock".

But we shall continue.

Don't, in any way, alert those coyotes to you being in the area.

Coyotes will go to the sound. So put the caller where you want them to go so you can kill them.

Put yourself (fill in the blank) yards away from the caller.

Try to find a place to sit/lay/stand in some shade with a backing to breakup your outline.

Pick a rabbit distress sound. Jack or cottontail. Young or old, blind, crippled or crazy. Don't really matter which one.

Start caller and run up to approx 1/2 to 3/4 volume.

Put remote in pocket and forget you even have it.

HOLD STILL. HOLD STILL. HOLD STILL.

Any movement you make with your head while looking, do SLOWLY.

When a coyote comes in, kill it.

+1
well I usually do at least 4 to 5 HOLD STILL's.
grin.gif

If You plan on saving the Hides,selling them or giving them to a Trapper the .308 will be harder on the hides/pelts...a .22 Magnum will put a Coyote,Fox or Bobcat down just not as far away as the .308 would.

A .223,.204,.222,220 will have more reach and knock-down power....a 22-250 will be a another good Caliber for longer shots and plenty of knock-down power..I have used my Browning .243 a few times with minimal damage.

Here in MO.,the Coyotes are probably breeding this time of year so a Female Invitation Call would be a good idea,its been slow here the last few months but with colder nastier weather things may get a little better...I can only hope?
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Thanks for the tips. I am looking into getting some sort of .223. I like the price on ammo! I'm not exactly on an unlimited budget. I'm just a plumber, so I am limited. I was shooting my new .22 mag yesterday, and sighted it in at 100yds. It surprized me at hoe accurate it actually was at the distance. I think I would be comfortable with taking a shot at that range with it. I'm not really interested in selling hides ect. The yote population is almost out of control in this area and most farmers are happy to have you there doing some "extermination". I'm looking forward to spending alot of hours in the field. next question, how long should I call before deciding that either there are no dogs in the area or they have found me out and move to the next spot?

If you don't care about the hides, use the 308, you'll hit them with more authority, the 22mag is marginal and requires excellent shot placement, especially when you get to 100+ yds.

If you're eradicating pests for farmers, passing up shots because you brought the small gun won't sit well, take the howitzer, be smart, and represent the sport well.

Back