savage 10 feeding issues

cm20

have a savage 10 predator .223 it doesnt like feeding rounds out of the magazine into the chamber, anyone else have this problem? any input would be appreciated

I had the same problem, not sure how to fix it but I switched stocks and the magazine didn't stay down on the front and the problem went away. So possibly shim the front a little to give it a better angle.

I've got two buddies with model 10's in .204Ruger and they have the same issues. I haven't looked into their rifles but from what I've had in small rifle cartridges they all seem to be more finicky than large rifle.

41 yote are you saying the .22-250 doesn't feed well either?

i was messing with it today if i load each round carefully and press down lightly on the bullet nose for each one into the magazine raising the rear of the round up alittle it seems to cycle fine...i have the non accustock version

I had a 10fp in .223 for 5 years, mine was the same way. I took it to a gunsmith and he tried adjusting the feed lips, never helped. Learned to live with it till I couldn't stand it anymore then finally sold it.

The rifle could shoot 1/4" groups all day and was a nice rifle, but I never did like the fact that out of 10 rounds usually 1 or 2 would not enter the chamber.

Probably not the answer you wanted but get used to it.

I was inquiring which stock yotesmokerz went with on his gun..

But i have also experienced problems with the magazine on the gun.. sometimes it doesn't want to fit right if i take it out, and also sometimes it seems difficult to get a cartridge into the chamber, as compared to some other guns...
Sounds as though a common accurance..

I work a lot with Savages and make a 10 round mag for the 308 center feed family and a 5 round WSM.

Whenever I have time, I have been working on a design for 10 round 223/204 and from what you describe, this sounds like the lips need adjusting.

just my .02

Look up Silverfox, he is a member here. He sent me a "how to" with pics that got my model 12 204 feeding properly. Hope he doesn't mind me throwing his name out on this one.

If you load long the tip of thbullet will hit the face of the barrel at the edge of the chamber, it is a bigger problem with hollow points. With hollow points I have to seat deap enough for the shoulder to hit the feeg ramp beffor the bullet reaches the chamber. Plastic tipped bullets and pointy SP's seem to work much better. I only have this problem with small base cartridges 223-204. 22-250, 250 Sav, and 243 feed just fine.

Back