central oregon cougar hunt camp

Just thought i would throw it out there that persuit bobcat season with hounds goes until feb 29th. So none of the guys that you saw out there were running illegally. Not trying to stir anything, Just want to get the facts out there so everyone knows.

Originally Posted By: baltz526Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: baltz526Porkupines have a job to do. They are the thinners of our forests.

My observation has been that the logging industry does a more than adequate job of "thinning our forests".
P-Pines and Rattle Snakes are the only animals I'll kill on sight and always will. Period
So you support the endangered species act being used as a club, to beat down the sport of hunting.

Don't put words in my mouth.
Implying that I or anyone else supports anything that "beats down the sport of hunting" is insulting and intended to start a fight, and buddy your bound to get one.
I kill P-Pines and Snakes for the same reason the others here do.
From what you're saying,, it doesn't sound like you and your band of "Experienced Cat Hunters" are saving very many P=Pines anyway.

"Thinners of our forrests",,, gimme a frikin break...

I have bent camping and hunting coyotes in the area and wood be very interested in joining in. Sounds like a lot of fun. Do you have any info on this years hunt?

Baltz526,

I think I asked you about this camp last year but because I had filled my South Dakota lion tag and was interested on hunting in the camp too. I asked about the prices of non-resident tags. Can't remember what they cost?

We just started our season here in SD yesterday and there already have been 6 cats killed in two days. The population of cats here in SD is way out of control.

Is this camp you are having near La Pine? My girlfriend grew up in La Pine and I think it would be fun to come to one of the camps one of these winters with her.

The nonresident license is $140.50, a cougar tag is $14.50 and you can buy 2 for the year. It is the only cheap nonresident big game tag in oregon. We hunt a large winter range area, As the deer herd crashed the opportunity to kill cougars was better. With the very low deer numbers it has become harder to find cougar sign. But every cougar killed makes a big difference. There are areas in the state with better odds of seeing cougar. Some of the guys that show up to hunt at the camp, hunt deer and elk in the units effected by these cougar. We have no snow this year so far, If it stays dry it will be a very tough year for cougar hunting. But we will also have access to areas normally snowed in. A double edged sword. Less snow=Bad, more access=good. Odds of success depends on your ability to be lucky

Doubt I'll make it, as it seems something always comes up. But I did get out today on the wetside of Oregon for a little calling. A little cut and paste, and here is the story of Cougar #4 for the Fox Pro.

Finally made it out to try and call a lion today. The weather hasn't been great, no snow to speak of. Anyways this young tom came in behind me. Not real sure why but I did the molasses head turn and caught him in my peripheral vision. As soon as I knew it was a cat I raised the rifle and turned enough to make the shot. I hit him head on lengthwise with the first shot at 15 yrds. He crumpled at the shot but righted himself and was up and running in about a second. The next shot at 40 yards hit him at 7 oclock at the base of the tail and he piled up again as he went out of sight. We found him about 15 yrds past that piled up for good. I usually use something a bit bigger but this trip I grabbed my daughters .243 pushing old school 75 gr Barnes X bullets.

IMG_1373.jpg

Very glad to read your success. Trappers have been hitting the burns area hard for coyote and bobcat. Might look further south for better numbers of coyote. Sunstone area could produce a bit better. Maybe big juniper

Back