ar chambering

1234a

My ar when its below zero outside always needs help with the forward assist to chamber the first round, works just fine when its at room temperature, my question is can you buy a stronger buffer spring to make it more reliable when its really cold

Clean the oil off of the carrier. You may also need to remove the buffer and spring. Clean out the receiver extension tube and use a dab of light synthetic oil.

I took all the lube off and it made a noticeable difference, but still had to use the forward assist, it only does it when its really cold

Explain your procedure for chambering "the first round" when it's cold.

Does the rifle chamber/fire/function fine after shooting that first round?

When I am hunting I have the bolt carrier held back by the magazine stop, then if I see something I can quickly jump out throw the magazine in and hit the bolt release, but when it is cold it just doesn't have enough omph. Sometimes to slam it all the way shut

Not having your magazine full will also help a lot. If you are using a 20-round magazine, just put 10 rounds in. Less spring tension keeping the bolt from stripping the shell out of the magazine.

You can also move the rifle rearward as you release the bolt-catch. Doing this will give the bolt the effect of more velocity.

Back