ACOG for Coyote's

ArrowStar

I would line the opinions from guys that have used or are currently using the Trijicon ACOG scope for coyote hunting. I currently have an 4x12x50 on my AR and I always turn it down to 4x or so for hunting. I was thinking that the ACOG in a 4x32 would be lighter and faster pointing for running shots. Most all my shots would be under 200 yds and more likely in the 50 to 75 yd range. Let me know the pros and cons. Thanks

If you search "acog" you will get many threads on this subject. There are a few on here that I know are using this scope. I, myself, considered this scope for my latest AR, but ended up going with a conventional scope instead. They are awesome; the ruggedness and simplicity of it is very appealing, but I can buy a lot of ammo for what money was saved by not purchasing it. If money is no issue, get 'er done.

I have an ACOG TA31 on my M4gery. Absolutely love it. Fast target acquisition, very clear optics and the chevron and range marks are designed for the 5.56 ballistics. Very easy to range with them once you get it down. I really like the fiber optic lighting, gives you only what you need in low light conditions so your sight picture doesn't get washed out. Expensive, but once you use one, you'll fall in love.

Thanks for the info fellas, I have a chance to pick one up VERY reasonably priced but didnt want to buy without some info. I have never owned or looked thru one.
I guess I will take the plunge, I can always go back to what I have if I dont like it.

Motivation:

0112.jpg

0022.jpg

I read your post earlier, that's a nice looking rifle. Looks like it shoots MOC (minute of Coyote). I would be very happy with that kind of accuracy out of a calling rifle.
Thanks,
Ken

I use a TA31F on my M4 calling rifle. Would not trade it for a sack full of roasted peanuts. I prefer the chevron reticle over the other styles, but any of the ACOGS will serve you well.

HS

Last edited:
Got the ACOG model TA31F a couple days ago. Mounted it last night on my Rem R-15. So far I think I will really like it, Hope to sight it in this weekend. We've had 30 to 50 mph winds the last 2 days. It's supposed to blow out tonight.
Thanks for the replies.
Ken

I got the oppurtunity to use an ACOG = WHOA!!! I'm taking my Nikon off my HBAR = now its just a matter of saving money-maybe selling a hand gun ect. A dealer let me try one on a DPMS sportical-completly stock-no trigger ect. I hit a steel plate 12'' high and 8''wide 28 out of 30 times at 250 yd.s Huge eye relief, chevron retical with 5.56 drop compensation and range finding. I cant think of ANYTHING that would work better for predator hunting.

I have several ACOG's and they are really good scopes. They are very TOUGH. My favorite is the 5.5 x 50. I have a 4 x 32 also and at my age I just need more than 4 power sometimes.

ACOG's, for their built purpose are hard to beat, one tough scope. However, on a calling rifle I dislike them. You pretty much have to shove your eye into the ocular lens for sight picture, as they have very little eye relief. For me, I live in Minnesota, so on a cold cold winter day, the heat coming off my eye alone being so close to the lens makes it frost up. Also the field of view is so-so. I feel the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 is a better way to go on a calling rifle. Indestructible like the ACOG, but with variable power, better eye relief, better field of view, adjustable target turrets, (opinion) a little better glass. Also they are relativaly priced the same, pending on features.

I don't own a ACOG but my friend has one and it's extremely clear. He has it on a 300 blackout upper and shoots accurately up to 300 yards. I think his is 3.5 power.

Still have the Acog on my R15. After 2 seasons I wouldn't change anything. For me, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Before I put this on my rifle I couldn't hit a coyote running to save my a$$, with the Acog my success rate on running shots have gone up dramatically. All I can attribute it to is the scope and being able to keep both eyes open while tracking moving target's.

I agree with ArrowStar 100% - I live in the foothills of NC - most of my shots are going to be 200yd.s or less OR runing shots - with an ACOG I can shoot with both eyes in use - increasing my cances of a hit. I've always hunted with traditional scopes and if the animal takes off after 1st shot - well you have a snowballs chance in !@#$ of finding him in your lense again. For me $1000 dollars is a substantial amount of money but obtainable and worth every penny.

anybody have a prefeerence one reticle over the other:

Trijicon Acog TA31F-G (chevron reticle)
Trijicon Acog TA31H-G (horseshoe reticle)

opinions on green or red reticle color with night hunting red light? Thx.

REDNECK REID

Last edited:
I have the red chevron and a buddy of mine has the orange donut. I like the chevron better due to not having to cover the target with the donut which can be the whole animal at a some distances. The tip of the chevron acts as a perfect sight point. The horseshoe may not be as bad as the donut, but IMHO, the sight point isn't as fast to acquire as the chevron.

Originally Posted By: jlindholm70I have the red chevron and a buddy of mine has the orange donut. I like the chevron better due to not having to cover the target with the donut which can be the whole animal at a some distances. The tip of the chevron acts as a perfect sight point. The horseshoe may not be as bad as the donut, but IMHO, the sight point isn't as fast to acquire as the chevron.

thanks for the reply and after talking with the people at Trijicon USA headquarters with some tech questions i would have to agree with your statement regarding the chevron style over the horseshoe style and completely agree with the logic behind the decision......only thing i really need to know now is the red or the green chevron best for ALL around hunting conditions night/day speaking......i hunt as much at night as day and use a red lense color obviously for night scanning and shooting and i am curious about the red chevron being seen in the red light? OR is green best? or does green have trouble in the daylight?.......thanks.

REDNECK REID

The one I used had an amber chevron (Im in the process of buying the ta33 with ta60 Trijicon mount) Just reminding you that you have 3 colors to choose from,and I've used the amber one on a very sunny day - looked great.

Back