Bull Barrel vs Light Weight Barrel

GrizleyHunter

To help reduce weight on a bolt rifle just how much more accurate is a bull type barrel vs a small dia barrel.
I understand the heat issue but if in a hunting situation I dought I would ever shoot more than two or three times in rapid fire.
Is a bull barrel just more stable and flex less thus making it more accurate discounting the heat factor.

Its the old theory vs reality. In theory a heavier stiffer barrel will more likely shoot better BUT in reality a lighter barrel can be very accurate as well. JMO

Well the reason I asked this question is I am getting the fever to build a custom bolt coyote rifle and it would be nice to have a rifle that is lighter than my ARs when the snow is deep.
Its gotta be fast and flat so I am leaning for a 6mm with a ton of powder behind it,barrel life is not a issue with me.

Actually, the rifle I was speaking of in my first post is a 6mm Rem. I bought it to use as a truck gun for awhile and then to change into a 6MM AI. but fell in love with it as is and haven't changed it. That has to be about 20 years ago now.

But if I was going to rebarrel it, I would put a little longer tube on it. You can do some neat stuff with long barrels,heavy bullets and slow powders.

Last edited:
you really see the advantage of a "bull" when you are really heating it up...dog towns, ground squirrels, a day in the desert when you want to send a few hundred rounds down range, but for hunting a light barrel will be just as accurate or "consistant" and will carry much easier. The load you are shooting becomes more important than the thickness of the barrel.

I swapped to a light weight barrel & couldn't be happier.

The good thing is, the light weight barrel shoots itty bitty groups at 100yds.

I've never fired more than 3 shots on any stand I've ever been on. So heating up a barrel, is the least of my worries on a hunting rifle.

Lee

The thin barrel will have more "harmonics" and in my experience can be more picky with load choice. Having said that, once you find what it likes, the thins shoot quite well. It's just easier to make 'em shoot, heavier. IMO.

When walking a bull barrel tells your shoulder who is boss. Have had a few buddies sell their rifles with bull barrels once they start hunting a bit.

Originally Posted By: frozenbuttWhen walking a bull barrel tells your shoulder who is boss. Have had a few buddies sell their rifles with bull barrels once they start hunting a bit.

I didnt sell mine but I did buy another calling rifle with a thin bbl. That hvy bbl was just too much to hump around every time I went hunting....

No heavy barrels for me, I had a Win m70 .243 with a Heavy Barrel, and still have a savage 22-250 with a Heavy barrel.

Neither got/get carried

Heavy or medium heavy barrels are ok, Just don't overdo the lenght. Those 20" barrels on the SPS's are just the ticket. Maybe a little short for a 6mm Rem, but not much. Since you are building, why not specify the weight. Heavy Varmint, Med Varmint, Med Palma etc.

Tom

Same here.
My walking varminters all wear 22" sporter barrels.
22 inches is about the perfect compromise IMO.
Light weight, not to loud, handle well, and still have enough length to retain reasonable velocity.

006.jpg

PS,,,, I also have a 243 with a 20" barrel.
It's god awfull loud. Wish it was a little longer but it's so accurate I live with it.
Only shoot a Deer or three with it each year anyway.

Last edited:
I am having a lightweight custom Coyote rifle built right now. The action, trigger, and stock is a Kimber Montana. The barrel is a #1 Lilja in 17 Rem. so it should be the equivalent of a #2 barrel in a larger caliber when you compare the barrel weights. The Kimber Montana I have been using is in 204 and with the #2 barrel and the rifle ready to hunt it weighs 6lbs. 4oz.
I just don't have a need or desire for a heavy barrel rifle and I do not feel limited when shooting at longer ranges either.
If I was building a dedicated western Coyote rifle the platform would again be a Kimber Montana, with either a #1 or #2 Lilja/Pac Nor barrel chamber in 17-204 and a 1:9 twist. Bullets would be Nagel T-000 30gr.hp and running close to 4200 fps. But I save pelts, so fur friendly is very important to me. I don't need a shoulder smashing caliber, to hard on pelts.
closedeyes.gif

The varmint weight sucks to carry and makes the gun tip forward every time you bend down when its slung on the shoulder. It is super annoying!

My tikka pencil barrel is more accurate then my old cz527 varmint aslong as you shoot 3 or 5 shot groups and let it cool off.

I think varmint weight maybe is more stable and easier to shoot if you have a bench or some kind of good rest. I think all that benefit is lost when you walk with the gun for an hour or two. The heavy gun makes you short of breath and your muscles tired. Any accuracy gained by the varmint barrel is lost cuz your arms are tired and shaking.

Kinda strayed off the "Contour" topic with my comments on length so in an effort to save face
blush.gif
I'll add that the first rifle in that pic started life as a 24" Varmint contour which I had cut and recontoured after about 2000 rounds. Shoots the same in either configuration.

IMO,,,, contour shouldn't be an issue with a premium barrel.
Luck

I own both heavy and thin barrel rifles. Depends on the use of the rifle more then anything. If I were going on a 20 mile walk for Elk or Deer I'd use a thin barrel. Depends what you're hunting, terrain and geography.

But, most of my hunting is varmint at ranges to 600 yards. There's no place for a thin barrel here. I want stability and accuracy for the long shots.

I'm 63 and still hunt with heavy barrel rifles, been doing it for 34 years. I consider myself more of a person that will lie in wait for game more so then someone who's going to walk 10 miles looking for it.

Last edited:
I hesitate to jump in on this subject but(joed) hit on a point that I have often found to be true. STABILITY is the main reason that I have always found myself shooting heavy barreled rifles. After 50 Yr's of hunting, starting with a Winchester Mod 52 target rifle(a squirrel killing machine) and then a custom built 222 Mag. that weighed in at 13 Lb's. Also a 243 heavy and a 264 with the same. I would suggest that you try a little experiment,by taking a wood dowel about 36 in. and also a steel rod about the same length. Now point them both at a target a few feet away,which one is easier to hold on the target? The steel rod should be heavy, but not so you cannot hold it up comfortably. Mass does not like to move(don't remember the theory name), it helps eliminate the wobbles that make the crosshairs dance around on the target especially at long ranges. Is it worth it to carry a heavy barreled rifle? For me it is as I hate to miss PERIOD!!

A long time ago a group of us in OH decided to start ground hog hunting. Most bought thin barrel hunting rifles in .243, and .270 from the local Kmart. I probably would have done the same, I certainly knew no better, except for the salesman at the gunshop that I went to. When I told him what I wanted the rifle for he started explaining about how important the balance of the rifle was. He put a heavy barreled rifle in my hands and then a thin barreled rifle of the same make. I noticed the difference right away. I walked out with a Remington 700 Varmint Special in .25-06 with 24" barrel.

It was like Rifleman2 touched on, the heavier rifle just balanced better on target. I can tell you I made a lot more hits at long distance then my friends did with their rifles, and I don't consider myself a great shooter. Over a couple seasons it became obvious the heavy barrel helped.

There were times where we did other hunting like deer. Yes, my rifle was heavier and not as much fun to carry. But I sure made up for it on small, distant targets.

I still have the 700 VS. It has a new Krieger barrel now but in the same contour and length as before. For some reason I'm not fond of 26" barrels but tolerate them. To me 24" seems ideal. This is still my favorite rifle to shoot.

Last edited:
Back