NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

The Hevi Shot "dead coyote" is a coyote killing devil with correct choke for your gun. But then again, I am just a crazy old Grandpa.
Extrema680003.jpg

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGWhat load? 3" T's or #4 buck?
-------------------------------------
That was 3" Hevi shot "T,s)" Every shotgun is different, but the T shot gives me the most dense patterns. Since it is so expensive, I shoot 3" copper plated lead #4 BUCK most of the time right now. For some unknown reason, the T shot throws its pattern higher than the lead loads, so I need to set my sights for which load I choose to use. I use a twin bead system, and the rear bead is my rear sight. Taller rear bead gives me more elevation. These tight patterns have forced me to aim the shotgun just like I would a rifle.

Ya know Dirty Dog, I tried one of the first "Dead coyote" tubes when they first hit the market. Absolute waist of money. To be fair I must add that Carlson appears to have made some changes in their "Dead Coyote" tube design, and they are likely a lot better now.

I bought a "new" ported design Dead Coyote tube thinking it was "The" solution, and I'm not impressed with Dead Coyote 3" T shot patterns at all. Maybe I'll try another brand...

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI bought a "new" ported design Dead Coyote tube thinking it was "The" solution, and I'm not impressed with Dead Coyote 3" T shot patterns at all. Maybe I'll try another brand...
-------------------------------
Dog,
What brand and model is your shotgun? I ask this because I need to know the nominal bore diameter before I suggest choke tube diameter for you. I lean towards Kicks Industries tubes though.

I own a 12ga Rem. SuperMag Turkey/Predator-20" barrel and so far I can't out-do the original choke that came with it, including the new ported Calson Coyote choke. With DC T's with the DC choke I would shoot at a yote under 40yds. I would use the orignal choke out to 50 with the T's. 4BK didn't pattern well at 35yds.
If anyone knows of a better choke please let me know for a 20" barrel.
Comp-N-Choke recommended their .655 for #4Bk. Not good.

Originally Posted By: TomGI own a 12ga Rem. SuperMag Turkey/Predator-20" barrel and so far I can't out-do the original choke that came with it, including the new ported Calson Coyote choke. With DC T's with the DC choke I would shoot at a yote under 40yds. I would use the orignal choke out to 50 with the T's. 4BK didn't pattern well at 35yds.
Comp-N-Choke recommended their .655 for #4Bk. Not good.
----
They probably meant #4 BIRD, not BUCK.

Quote:4BK didn't pattern well at 35yds.

My 870 with 28" Barrel and .690 Primos Dead Deer choke does well with Winchester and Remington 00Buck, and Remington #4Buck at 40 Yards, but I didn't pattern any farther than that. 9-10 00Buck pellets in 10" at 40 Yards, shot after shot. The only problem is that I believe the "Dead Deer" chokes were only made for a year or two, and then discontinued. I own 3, a RemChoke .690, INV .690, and INV+ .700, and they all pattern well. Good Luck.

Have any of you guys tried different length barrels in your pattern testing? Reason I ask is I have a 18" and a 26" barrel for my 870. I like the maneuverability of the short barrel, but was wondering if the longer barrel would give better results at say 40 or 50 yards.

I did a search with the Google Custom Search here and came up with eight pages of discussion regarding this. It gets tossed around every once in awhile. Here is a cut-n-paste reply I posted in one of those discussions...

Generally speaking the longer barrels might tend to pattern somewhat better and will give slight increases in velocity. The velocity thing is very slight, like maybe 5 - 10 fps per inch of shotgun barrel depending upon the load. With field loads there is less of a difference than with a heavy magnum type load. This makes the velocity factor pretty much a non-issue when considering common hunting lengths like the difference between a 23" turkey specific barrel and a 26" wingshooting/general use barrel. For predator or turkey specific I really like 24" barrels with a close second being a 26" length.

Patterning is much the same kind of deal. The differences in individual barrels and chokes and how they react to a certain load can negate any advantage length may play in giving a better pattern. As an example, I have 18 1/2", 24", and 26" barrels for my two Benelli M1S90 semi-auto 12's and they all take the exact same chokes. The 24" and 26" are pretty much even in pattern densities with no clear advantage to either one. Most of the time both of those two will out pattern the shorter 18 1/2" barrel. Sometimes by a great degree, sometimes by not so much. However, in at least one instance the shortest barrel will out shoot the other two with a certain load and choke. Which reminds me that there are no set hard and fast rules and I always try to speak in general terms.

Only Coyotes I ever shot, was when I was turkey hunting. Used #6 2oz 3inch Turkey Load, and DRT at 30-40 yards. But I Bet #4 Turkey load in anyting 2oz or better will knock the crap out of them. Just my 2 cents. Oh and that was with a X-full Turkey choke out of my 28inch Rem870.

OK My friend that I hunt with has an 1187 with a kicks card shooter .640 that he turkey hunts with. Just for the heck of it he shot a load of dead coyote t shot to see how it patterned. At 30 yards there were 2 pellets outside of a pie plate. I know thats a little tight, but at 60-70 yds i would say it would be pretty good. I am wondering if this is a fluke to have tshot pattern this tight with that tight of a constriction. I am thinking about trying the .650 constriction in my sbe2 hopefully to have the pattern open a little but not alot, but dont want to waste my money if chances are it wont pattern at all.

Back