Who knows about H&R 22-250??? (Pics)

Watch Dog80

I bought this rifle. It came with a cheap 3-9x32 Simmons scope, 9-13" bipod (not sure of brand), and a hard plastic Plano case. The gun is an H&R 22-250 with a 22" barrel that has a 1-14" twist rate. Don't know alot about this gun, so I am hoping you guys can help me with the value of this setup. I am enclosing a picture of the gun. It is in good condition. Has a few minor scratches, thanks in advance.

1327028395.jpg

Last edited:
Bare rifle in good shape 200-225, bipod 30-50, case 5-10, scope -4000. So unless it was free you're pretty upside down
smile.gif

I bought one about 5 yrs ago for $250 with scope it was a heavy barrel in 243. I shot about 60 rounds through it and sold it. It would shoot about a 3" group at 100 yds on a calm day.

I believe that minus sign would mean negative $4000.Originally Posted By: Watch Dog80Hey NdIndy, scope $4000???? You interested in buying the scope, I would let you have for half what you think it is worth? Lol

if it will hit "Minute of Coyote" with a cold barrel, each time (cold) then it will be ok for hunting.
What wont be fine is when the case sticks and wont eject.
It may not hold a group as the barrel warms up.

Get some yotes with it up, until you decide to part with it.
Keep the Bipod.

I have had 2 H&R's and frankly would never get another, even seems a waste of ammo trying to get one sighted in well.

With the advent of halfway decent $300 bolt actions, there really is no place for the H&R, excpet for a weird caliber -that it probably wont shoot worth a darn.

Hope you dont take all that personally
smile.gif

Last edited:
Oops did not see that - sign, thanks for pointing out nastydaddy. No offense taken Timbertoes, that is why I ask about the gun. Sometimes truth hurts, but nothing wrong with telling it like it is.

Originally Posted By: Watch Dog80Oops did not see that - sign, thanks for pointing out nastydaddy. No offense taken Timbertoes, that is why I ask about the gun. Sometimes truth hurts, but nothing wrong with telling it like it is.

Should have bolded the -
smile.gif
I'm a big fan of simmons glass
laugh.gif

I like singles. As above if you're just looking for cheap there are some really good shooting inexpensive options now-a-days but singles are just neat. I've got an h&r in .223 that I haven't shot in forever, but shoots very well. Singles and PD towns just don't add up, but for a coyote shoot it should work as well as any.

(speaking of cheap glass
smile.gif
)
DSCF3103.jpg

Same gun started as a 45-70, with iron sights and OMG that hurt loads would go MOD very easy, never grouped it though to see what it would do.

I picked up a .243 that I spent forever and a day on just getting it to kick out brass without help from a cleaning rod and then couldn't get it to group better than eventually hitting the earth. The .243 in the h&r world has quite the rep for being a POS. No idea why the other calibers shoot well but they can't make a .243.

Have actually been contemplating one of those pretty hard of late; with a couple extra barrels. One of those barrels being a 410/45 Long Colt, that would afford me 1 gun with 3 barrels that would shoot 4 calibers, for under $500.

New the gun in question above, with wood stocks lists for $300 - $350, dependent upon dealer and caliber. With Laminate, and/or thumbhole stock they'll run up to $475. With synthetic they go as low as $250 MSRP meaning you can probably buy them for around $230 - $235 new at many dealers.

I won't be quite so ugly about the value of the scope, and we'll give it $15, because if you throw it on an old beat up 22, you can save that buying a new scope at Wally World for it. Bi-Pod isn't new so I wouldn't give it new price either.

Used, in good condition... I've seen a few listed recently, with a decent scope, nothing real fancy, but decent scope 3-9 x 40 / 4-16 x 50 range, for $250 - $275. And, in fact have seen a couple with decent scope and bipod in that $275 range. With that scope and bi-pod, used, I'd give it around $250.

Additonal barrels can be had if you decide to keep it. Depending on caliber they run $50 to $150. Gun less your existing barrel, has to go back to H&R, so they can fit the new barrels properly.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

i have one in 223 that is verry accurate, one in 243 that is also. and one in 25-06 that didnt shoot worth a darn. also have a buffalo classic that is a tackdriver in 45-70. i like them when they shoot as i,m partial to single shots. the triggers leave much to be desired though

Certain calibers in the H&R/NEF are iffy. The .22-250 is supposed to be one of them. However, a friend of mine bought one for his wive to deer hunt with and it is very accurate. And I am glad, because he gives me all her fired brass.

A lot of accuracy issues with the Handi Rifles can be bedding issues and not the barrel. The bipod might cause issues with its upward pressure on the barrel. Handis usually shoot their best groups when rested on the receive and not on the forearm. If it shoots accurately when rested on the receiver and the forearm off, then some forearm tuning tricks may make it a tack driver.

I had a 7-08 that was shooting spotty with average groups in the 3-4 inch range. I got disgusted with it and priced it to a co-worker of my son. Before delivery I installed an o-ring between the barrel and forearm and went to sight in for the guy. All of a sudden it was shooting 1.25 inches. If I hadn't already priced it, I would have kept it.

These rifle also have a tendency to send the first 3 shots into a tight group and then start stringing upward as the barrel heats up. If it shoots 3 together, then you are in good shape. The best info on Handis is on the Graybeard Outdoors forum. check there if you have issues.

Can any one that has this same gun recommend a good ammo to shoot through it. (I have tried the 55 grain soft points from federal with very poor results at 100 yards)

I had the same gun in 204. When it shot it shot decent. Although it had trigger issues that local gunsmiths would not touch so I sold it.

Had one in 22/250. Upon firing, it would open up...very nerve racking. I sent it back and they "fixed" it..but never shot it again. I traded it for a 22/250 sps. The H&R would shoot so so. I tried all different bullets and recipes.

Back