I'm getting closer!

smallbutfierce

Actually located coyotes today! Not tracks, but actual returning serenade to my interrogation/greeting howl. Not more than half a mile away. Unfortunately a warm front was coming in and the wind was from the south, had to drive all the way around a huge bog to get downwind and hike into an area I had not scouted yet. Had to share, it is my first season and I have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to out smart these things. It has been a rough learning curve, trying to hunt them in the open and all. Getting closer though. Thanks for the great info on here.

The warm weather here has had them hushed up. Plus I think there still feeding on the last of the deer season kill scraps and run aways not found.

I have switched to calling in the woods. I just got my new lights, so I hope to increase my odds this week. Calling in the woods here is like playing Google Earth chess, so much woods that it is hard to set up so you don't get winded. Following their tracks I have found that they don't go into the open(fields) at all. The only times I have seen them in a field or large opening are when my bird dog chased them out of bed. I am learning, hopefully my dedication pays off.

Sounds like some of my areas. I like to set up just inside the woods, in a cross wind set up. Close to a thick area. Iv called quiet a few from frozen over marshes and swamps.

Got BUSTED!! First time hunting at night, set up in the open just to test out my new light setup. Nothing, not surprised. Moved to a pine thicket that I had found to have plenty of action. It was about -5, about 4" fresh snow from this morning, seemed perfect. Unfortunately I can't see 360 degrees all the time. Found fresh tracks crossing my approach route, the coyote was walking in until it was about 10 yards directly downwind and then turned into a huge-strided run. I have shot many deer in this same thicket because it is so quiet I can almost run unheard, apparently coyotes are even better at it. Never heard it, never saw it. Froze my @ss off. Be back out tomorrow.

Back