Fox hunting and wind direction

GaryG

Tonight I'm going to be hunting for fox out in some corn fields
but the wind direction will be blowing towards them per looking it up on scoutlook.com.

Do fox really go by thier nose and would I be wasting my time trying to call for them?

There's no way to call from the proper direction because they would bust be walking in and I would just be calling where I came from.

This tends to be a controversial topic. You will find guys that will argue both ways. Personally I call with the wind in my face, or with the wind blowing from my right or left. The animals will use their noses, some mmore than others. So anything you can do to minimize your scent cone, the more productive you can be. I know that many will try to swing downwind, so I will place my caller out ahead of me 25-40 yards, and call into the wind. When they come in either directly or indirectly, they are going to be right where I want them.

They are not going to automatically scared off by human scent, they smell it often enough, but the concentration could alert them to the fact that you are there.

Thanks.
There is a river on the other side so I can't get in the proper position.

River
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Corn
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wind moving toward the river
Park car

I would have to get in the corn field making the crunch noise to get cross wind.

Originally Posted By: GaryGTonight I'm going to be hunting for fox out in some corn fields
but the wind direction will be blowing towards them per looking it up on scoutlook.com.

Do fox really go by thier nose and would I be wasting my time trying to call for them?

There's no way to call from the proper direction because they would bust be walking in and I would just be calling where I came from.

Red Fox like the coyotes spend the majority of their time on the down-wind areas of hills, ridgelines & or ground cover. They hunt there, bed there, play there, breed there & mill around there. They can be on the up-wind at any given time. But briefly as compared to the down-wind areas. As they will use the "up-wind" areas as they travel/hunt from one down-wind area to the next. Spending but very little time on "the up-wind" areas.

Can a hunter call a canine in to "his/her up-wind?" Sure they can. But that is dependant upon where the animal is at the time of hearing the call sound.

Best bet is to figure them as being on the down-wind most any time. As that is where they prefer.

Your welcome & good luck. Do not make any noise(or as little as possible) as you walk in to your stand area. A Red Fox will sometimes dismiss ambiant noises a hunter may make. But a coyote rarely will, step lightly.

Try & avoid exposing yourself to down-wind areas. Because when the canines are there. They spend a good deal of their time scanning to their cross & down-wind areas. The coyotes will do this moreso than a Red.

If/when you top a hill or ridgeline, quickly get below the horizen & set-up. Best to call cross-wind towards cover areas. Try & keep an open area to your down-wind. So visually cover both angles.

Back