What load for a Bushmaster Varminter 24" w/ 1x9 twist?

DrunkGoose

Ordering my late Christmas present sometime this week: Bushmaster Varminter (CM barrel, not SS). I'm partial to long guns.

Being as this will be my first AR, first rifle with a 24" barrel, and first one with a 1 in 9" twist- I'm a little curious as to what factory loads it will like. Instead of wasting a lot of money on a wide variety of loads, can anyone narrow it down for me a little (a small range of loads to try)?

I am pretty content with Black Hills ammo, as that is what my previous rifle shot so well. If you have a better (fairly cost efficient) brand and load combo- let me know.

Thanks in advance!

50-60gr vmax from blackhills will be a good starting point...mine really loved winchester white box 45jhp's.

You will have a Wylde chamber. You can shoot 223 or 5.56.

I have same one in 20 inch. You need to break in the barrel. I used Lake City ss109. Bushmaster said to put 150 rounds down range. I stopped at 75. It likes the 109's and the 855's. So, I am in the 55 to 62 grain range. I would like to try some TAP ammo this spring.

I do not handload for AR's. I do load 223 but only for my bolt rifles.

When you ordered yours did you look at MidwayUSA.com. MidwayUSA has the 20 inch for $499, The deal is they get so many each month. Sign up for the back order email. I had to wait two weeks. Bushmaster lists the upper for $775 plus tax and shipping.I do not know why MidwayUSA is cheaper but they are.

I put a Magpul sniper stock on mine and feels good.

I like 69 MK in front of 23 grains of H335. But really, im not loading 223 any more. Fiocchi vmax ammo is so cheap an accurate i couldnt justify it. Lets me focus on other cals like the 6x45 and 243, 22-250 ect. Just a thought.

55 gr anything should be MOA or better. My pet load for mine is 55 gr sp over 24.3 gr H335, it'll shoot it better than I can, I have several targets under 3/8".

Originally Posted By: TjkillerI like 69 MK in front of 23 grains of H335. But really, im not loading 223 any more. Fiocchi vmax ammo is so cheap an accurate i couldnt justify it. Lets me focus on other cals like the 6x45 and 243, 22-250 ect. Just a thought.

Tj where are you getting your fiocchi from?

I hope to find the time shortly to start reloading for mine and my brothers Bushmaster Predator (which of the two I like most). I got a Dillon 650 just for them. Good luck, Dave.

Originally Posted By: bushy50-60gr vmax from blackhills will be a good starting point...mine really loved winchester white box 45jhp's.

absolutely correct.......blackhills

Black hills is AWESOME- but........IMO the fiocchi shoots about as good if not as good. Rowdy the last batch we bought was from Cheaper than dirt, cabelas and midway sell em too. We wait until it goes on sale to under 20$ a box. 50gr vmax is sometimes hard to get cuz of its popularity, we shooting 40 gr vmax this year, works just fine.

Last edited:
Drunkgoose you dont hunt anymore, all I see is you slinging real-estate
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarshwalkerDrunkgoose you dont hunt anymore, all I see is you slinging real-estate
thumbup.gif

Ha! I'm in the process of making sure I can hunt next year! Call me, I'll tell you all about it.

Back