Hunting Ohio Coyotes during the Day

lukeyn

Hello all,

Been hunting yotes at night, would like to give it a go during the day. Had a few questions. I live in east/central ohio.

What calls do you use during the day?

If you use locater/howls, do you get responses in the day?

How long do you set during the day?

I'm in south east Ohio and mainly hunt during day time hours. I've killed all my coyotes in evening and seem to have best luck calling them in evening. I usually use rabbit distress calls...occasionly a howl. But ill hunt hard wood creek bottoms and draws. And typically hunt stand 15-20it min

luyken I hunt them in the daylight and found that if you get out before daylight after a fresh snow you can drive the backroads and find a set of fresh tracks. Now drive around the block to make sure they dident go out the otherside if not start tracking them. Before you get to a section where they might be bedded use any distress call if they dont show up in 20 minutes get up and continue tracking and calling. I live in crawford county send me a pm and we might get together and go after them.

I get on them during the day, best luck evening and early morning.

I mainly use the howler at night to locate them. When I get some trash talk going with them, I bail out and hunt that area the next day.

My friends thought I was crazy, but another trick that works is to slowly cruise the back gravel roads in the middle of the night, howling out the window. To the yotes it sounds like an intruder going through their turf. They'll come back at you with some aggressive stuff.

I keep a note book in the truck and write down the areas that get a hit. Then come back and hunt that area the next day.

There's no wrong answers buddy. What works, works. LOL!

Rudy

I will try both techniques. Thanks guys.

I shot at one the other night and the son of a gun didnt die. I had to have hit him becuase when we walked up to the spot i seen two eyes staring at me from under a log, then they vanished. Went back the next day and didnt find him.

im in washington county and are best time is right at daylight! foxpro we use a lot of pup in distress 2,and lighting jack hope it helps

i have very good results using rabbit in distress call....follow it with a "crow safe call" during the day. yotes realize that a crow safe call means that the immediate area is good to go.

Went out the other night, had one howl back at me. He was close, only about 300 yards out. Had my blood pumpin. He came in, took the shot. When I went to where he was at, I seen a set of eyes in the brushpile, but then never saw him again.

Do you guys see more or less activity during a cold snap?

im like badtothebone, i do my scouting at night. if i hear them in a certain area this time of year at night theres a 90% chance there going to be there close during daylight hours. ill make sure my wind is right for the setup i want to try and go in. yes, the coyotes will get very vocal with you if you use vocalizations on them. dont just setup on the fields either, get your butt in the woods alittle bit and then call. if u can get deep in there territory without getting busted and do a few yip howls or a female inv howl you can guarantee your going to get a response if they are close... get them worked up for a few minutes if he challenges you, challenge him back and wait a few minutes and use a distress sound on him.. they come in to see who's stealing a meal from them...

thinking of taking my deer decoy out, removing the legs and antlers and using a fawn distress call. The decoy is about a small does size so it should work. Just alot to haul in.

This time of year I'm in the woods at the crack of dawn, hunt all day, and stay out till I can't see the crosshairs.

I rarely hunt at night this time of year because food is so scarce the yotes are hungry all the time. I get as many at dawn/dusk as I do at high noon.

Once things warm up a bit and the food gets more plentiful, mid day hunting gets a little tougher.

Just go. What might happen might happen. LOL!

Rudy

Back