Which Gun for dedicated NV Hunting

Okay this ia sick and it is a terrible delimma for me! I should receive my PS 22 this week for night coyote hunting. I have seven guns which I use for coyotes. The PS 22 can be used on all with the correct adapter, but I want to set one up as a dedicated gun with extended rail supporting the PS 22. Most of my night hunting will be under one hundred yards. I ordered an adapter for a 50mm objective, but I'm still not sure if I'll use that scope or a 38mm, 36mm, 40mm, or 42mm scope. Scopes are Leuy VAR-X 111s and Nikon Monarchs. I've got two semi-auto .22 mags, a H&K 300 and H&R 700 set up for night hunting with red LED lights. An AR-15, CZ 527 and H&K 630; all in .223 Rem also set up for red LED lights. A 12 ga/6.5X57 Mauser combo gun. And a custom 6.5X57 Mauser which I built this last fall on a T38 Arisaka. All shoot under one MOA and I hunt with all of them. The AR-15 because of its metal handguard is used mostly in warm weather. Its terrible when one has so many guns and can't decide which to use. The PS 22 can be switched between guns with the proper adapter, but I would like to set one up as a dedicate gun with extended rail to secure the PS 22. Which would you choose for a dedicated night set up?

I would default to the scope versus the particular caliber or gun. You should be using the scope that has the lowest magnificantion settings which will give you a better field of view when trying to locate an incoming coyote. So if you have one that goes down to 3x or 2.5x or lower pick that one and put it on your favorite gun.

Originally Posted By: HTRN57I would default to the scope versus the particular caliber or gun. You should be using the scope that has the lowest magnificantion settings which will give you a better field of view when trying to locate an incoming coyote. So if you have one that goes down to 3x or 2.5x or lower pick that one and put it on your favorite gun.

Scope is not a problem, mine all start at 3X or less. I have one that is 1.5X to 6X, which is the one I'll most likely end up using. Its the gun I have a problem selecting.

Put it on the AR-15 hands down,you will find that you call more multiples at night,especially if you hunt alone.
AR's ride the sticks better with the pistol grip and you will need a side rail for your I.R.torch.

I'm with Baystate..... quad rails on an AR solve a lot of equipment mounting issues for night rigs. My next night rig will be a RRA Coyote Special with quad rails and 16 inch barrel.

Wrap CamoForm around the handgaurd so it's not so cold to the touch. I do that on mine and it makes a huge difference. It also quiets things down, none of those metal "PINGs" that always happen at the worst time.

Well that is 3 votes for the AR. That is my least favorite gun for the winter, to darn cold. I do warp como wrap around the forarm, but it is still to cold. I live in northern WI. Today at 2 PM it is -4 degrees. I much prefer one of my wooden stocked guns for the winter. Leaning toward my HK 630 or 12ga/6.5X57 combo gun.

If not the AR,then that combo looks promising!!
thumbup1.gif

Back