Big Bush = Big Double

300magman

Again, I managed to get out for 3 stands today (it was perfect calling conditions, and I sure would have liked to put in a full day, but as we all know, work can really throw a wrench into that! haha). I ventured a little farther north than I usually go, into the edge of "wolf country". I had heard about a few wolves seen in this area in the last couple weeks, so every now and then I like to try calling in this area and hopefully one day I'll get a nice bonus. Its decent calling for yotes as well, so a win win no matter what. It definitly makes for tougher calling scenarios though, as this is crown land with 1000's of square miles of nothing but bush...fortunaltey, there's a bunch of cutlines, leases and access roads, so its not too bad to find a decent calling spot.

On the first stand, I was set up at the intersection of 2 cutlines. 3 minutes in to lightning jack, I saw one coming down one of the cutlines, then a 2nd and 3rd joined up with it. I'm ashamed to say this, but I missed the lead dog at no more than 50yds
confused.gif
With the cutlines only being 30 or so feet wide, it is very unlikely that you will get a second shot, or chance at a second dog, and that was exactly was happened. The yotes were already back in the bush before I had even cycled my gun. Called for a few more minutes on that stand, but nothing else came in.

On the second stand, I was set up looking down one cutline that ran for as far as I could see East and West. It was solid bush all around, so if something was coming in, it would have to come out onto the pipeline (I should mention there was absolutely no wind). I started the stand with lightning jack, then switched to coyote and rabbit at the 5 minute mark. Shortly after making the switch, a nice yote came out about 110 yds West up the cutline, trotted a few feet toward me then stopped and turned broadside...bang and one yote was down. I went to pup distress for a bit, then back to coyote and rabbit. At the 10 minute mark of the stand, another yote came out from almost the exact same spot up the cutline, but from the opposite side. When it stopped to sniff its downed companion, I let the shot go. The yote dropped, but was back on its feet a second later and into the bush. I knew it was a good hit so I wasnt too worried. I called for about 15 more minutes, but nothing else came in. I walked up, and saw that the first yote was a nice, big male. I started following the blood after the second yote, and it was piled up about 10 ft inside the treeline. This one was a large female.

My third stand consisted of me howling for wolves to no avail, but I figured that was as good a time as any to dedicate a stand entirely to wolves!

I took this first pic from where I was sitting West down the cutline, just to show the kind of country I was calling in. You can see the first yote (male) laying on the cutline.

DSC02974c.jpg

Here is the 2 yotes

DSC02976.jpg

And another pic of me trying to hold them both up. It was bit difficult to get them both up and into a good pic position in time for the timer delay, so its not the best shot, but does kinda show how big they were. The male is on the left of the picture.

DSC02978.jpg

I was using my Mossberg 4x4 in .25-06, bog-pod USR shooting rest and a Foxpro FX3. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job man! You can really lay the coyotes out. I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing your photos, thanks for sharing!

Man you have some gorgeous animals up there. It doesn't look like that 25-06 is tearing them up too bad either. It looks cold too. what's the temp like up there?

Kinda good you missed the 1st yote...Not sure how you would have held all 3 of them up for the picture. As always GREAT JOB on the story and pics 300. Keep after them Wolves. Thank You for sharing!!!

Back