Missed 2, ended up with 4 coyotes, pictures.

derbyacresbob

On Wednesday night the rancher told me where there was a dead cow and to check out that area. We have done good calling in that area so that is where I headed when I went out calling this morning at 9:00 am. When I was about 400 yards from where the cow was I saw two coyotes headed that way. I parked my truck and got set up about 300 yards past where I saw the coyotes were headed towards the cow.

I started out with a Female Coyote Long Howl and within a few seconds a coyote stood up out of the grass on the flat ground about 80 yards away and it was looking towards my CS-24. I was laying prone with my rifle and squeezed off a shot and missed. The coyote took off and got into a little ditch and got away. The bullet may have hit some grass or I just blew the shot.
cursing.gif

I blanked on the next stand. The third stand I walked about 500 yards up to a saddle on a ridge top that has a huge canyon on the other side. The canyon was too steep to see down into it from the ridge top so I set my caller just over the top of the saddle and I layed down with my rifle on a old dirt road up the hill about 50 yards from my caller. I had been playing Prairie Dog Distress for about 4 minutes when I heard what sounded like a horse running and it was about to run me over. I turned around as quick as I could and saw a coyote running back up the old dirt road that I was laying on. It stopped and looked back at me from about 40 yards away and I didn't miss this time. In cattle country when I am laying prone coyotes don't seem to be too alarmed when they see movement that is low to the ground.
IMG_7070.jpg

Coyote number 1 for the day.

On the way to the next stand I missed another coyote with my rifle that I should have got.
cursing.gif

After blanking on two more stands I went up into some higher country to call off of some higher mountains. I parked my truck just short of the top and walked about 150 yards up to the top of the mountain. I had my shotgun and pillow and just layed down about 10 yards from the CS-24 and started out with Bay Bee Cottontail. After about 5 minutes I switched to Jack Rabbit Distress and put it on full volume 40 since I was calling against the wind. Within a few minutes after cranking up the volume I saw a coyote about 300 yards away running straight for me. I lowered the volume a little and the coyote ran right up to my CS-24. When I sat up with my shotgun the coyote stopped and looked at me like where the heck did you come from.
IMG_7082.jpg

Coyote number 2 for the day.

Since I was on top of the mountain range I just walked another 500 to 600 yards to another spot that I knew about that had some oak trees at the top of the mountain over looking a big canyon. I sat down a leaned up against a oak tree and started calling with Snow Shoe Hi Pitch. After about 15 minutes I saw a coyote about 200 yards below me standing under a oak tree.
IMG_7085.jpg

The coyotes was under the tree that is way down the canyon in the above picture. I switched to Vole Squeaks on Volume 24 and the coyote started coming up the hill and it came all the way to the caller at a steady pace. It actually walked through that opening in the limbs on the ground just to the left of the closest tree in the above picture. It was about a 20 yard shot with my shotgun.
IMG_7092-1.jpg

Coyote number 3 for the day.

Then I headed back down the mountain and found a good spot to do another shotgun call. I was laying down with the pillow again and had my caller about 10 yards out in front of me. There was a barbed wire fence about 30 yards to my left and after playing Snow Shoe Hi Pitch for about 5 minutes I saw a coyote just past the fence about 10 yards. It was walking down the fence line going away so I switched to Vole Squeaks again and lowered the volume down to 15. The coyote walked back up to the fence and layed down. The coyote was looking towards the CS-24 most of the time but looked real hard right at me two different times. It was right at 40 yards away so I decided to move my shotgun real slow and take the shot. It saw me moving and stood up just before I shot it with the Remington HD T shot Predator load.
IMG_7096.jpg

Coyote number 4 for the day.

I made two more stands and nothing showed up. It was too dark to do anymore calling so I headed home. It was another great day.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the man! What no live shots? Just kidding. You keep this up and we might all start moving to California. Well on second though we might just come to visit calls in hand.

Great job as usual.

derbyacresbob--That was a very productive day of calling!!! You did a great job of calling and your shooting wasn't too bad either!!!

That is some beautiful country in those photos. Thanks for posting the story and the pics.

Back