Bushmaster Vs. Rock River

DrunkGoose

I started a thread yesterday regarding what load to try and sling from a Bushmaster Varminter (that I was planning on ordering this week). After spending quite a few hours today looking through threads regarding Bushmaster vs. Rock River, I am beginning to re-think my decision. Can I get some input from you guys? I know this might turn into a Ford vs. Chevy controversy, but I would like to hear both sides.

First and foremost, what kind of rifle I am looking for: I am a long barreled, heavy gun kind of guy. I like the idea of accuracy and velocity at long ranges over my comfort of carrying the rifle. I prefer 26" Barrels from everything from shotguns to my bolt rifles. With an AR, I was looking at the Bushmaster Varminter in a 24", and would "settle" with a 20" if the gun was still what I wanted.

My choices that I have narrowed it down to are the Bushmaster Varminter (currently my first choice), the BM Predator, and the Rock River Predator Pursuit, Varmint A4, and the Coyote rifle.

This will mainly be a long range coyote gun, with plenty of time shooting prarie dogs and paper. Although most of my shots will be around 100 yds, I do plan on shooting much further when the opportunity presents itself. I will be carrying this gun, but heavy doesn't bother me. I sling it over my shoulder regardless.

If you could explain your reasoning, that would be best. This will be my first AR style rifle, so the more info the better.

Thanks in advance!

I personally love my Predator Pursuit with a 20" barrel. Love it. Wanted the A4 at first but with a bit lighter on the weight went with this one.

Ive got a varminter special and love it deffinatly a tac driver. Im shooting between a quarter and half inch groups at a hundred yds. Ive also done alot of experimenting with some longer ranges and have done very well. Did and still do alot of reloading and took a little while to find the right combinations for certain distances but still not bad. I was shooting 500+ yds this summer and hitting a 10" steel gongwhich is good enough for me. I do alot of coyote hunting and soley use this gun. killed many at 2,3,4 hundred yards with no problem. it is a bit on the heavy side but imlike you im young enough and just throw it over my shoulder. I have a nikon M223 with BDC reticle and love the scope and very accurate used it this past summer for my long shots and it did alright. I think im going to sell it though and try to get somthing in the 16-25 power range just want a little bigger picture its a 12 power. All in all great gun very accurate and have a great trigger havnt had any problems deffinatly wouldnt be affraid of it or any doubts hope that helps let me know if theres something else youd like to know

I just got a varmint a4. I ordered it with the free chrome bolt carrier upgrade and chrome 2 stage trigger. I put a Nikon monarch 4-16x42 mil-dot scope on it and took it out to the range. With 60gr v-max handloads this thing shoots one ragged hole. I always told my AR friends that they couldn't shoot with a bolt gun but I see that I was wrong.

I went the old guy route - HA!! - the PP in 20" for my varmint rifle and now days carry either a 6.8 A4 mod or a 6.8 Coyote for the farm or deer/coyote trips. I wanted the lighter carry. The PP 20 can shoot 3/4 to 1/2 and may even go below 1/2 when I get a little lucky. Both the 6.8's can shoot under 3/4.

A friend went with the 24" Varmint when I bought the predator and will swear by it. He used a Nikon 4-16x scope on there and I've seen him ring hits on gallon cans at 500 yards with regularity. I did see him kill a ground hog slightly over 400 paces and a coyote at close to that resting over a Geo Tracker. With the versa pod, scope and 10 round mag, I'd guess the weight slightly over 12 lbs.

I can't say I am not biased for RRA. I have worked with the Rock guys several times on equipment and parts and their rifles are all the AR types I own. My only experience with a Bushmaster has been limited to borrowed rifles back when I first started looking at them. Try and shoot both and take more heed of the unbiased opinions on the internet. ;-)

Ted

Originally Posted By: Death DealerI just got a varmint a4. I ordered it with the free chrome bolt carrier upgrade and chrome 2 stage trigger. I put a Nikon monarch 4-16x42 mil-dot scope on it and took it out to the range. With 60gr v-max handloads this thing shoots one ragged hole. I always told my AR friends that they couldn't shoot with a bolt gun but I see that I was wrong.

Ahh yeassss - is there anything better than pocketing snootty anti-AR, bolt gun buddy's crispies?? ;-)

Thanks for the info guys! Keep it coming! At this point I think I may be leaning toward the Rock River Predator Pursuit 20 inch. I hate the look of a stainless barrel- but I'm sure I'll get over it!

Also, if you have some ideas for mounting a scope- don't hesitate to send me some ideas. I don't want to spend more than $100 at the moment.

Mine shoots everything good so far. Some loads do better than others of course but I would take any of them hunting. I bought some cheap ultramax remand ammo that had 50gr nosler bts and it shot between 1/2" and 3/4" with those. For mounts I just bought Burris xtr extra high rings. They're designed for AR platforms.

The only AR I have is the Predator Pursuit. I have put probably 1500 rounds through it without a single failure. It is as accurate as they claim. Love the stainless look and the two stage trigger. I also got their scope mount for my 6.5 X 20 X 50. You won't be disappointed in this rifle.

I was set on a DPMS bull 20 when I first started to get serious about buying my first AR in 2010. When I was at the gun store the guy said have you looked at or tried any other guns? He handed me the DPMS and said run the bolt and see how it feels, than he handed me the Rock PP 20" and said do the same thing. The DPMS sounded tinney or cheap, where as the Rock felt solid and a firm lockup. I was than told about the Rock's .75" MOA or better accuracy, and 2 stage trigger and he said if you are not happy after shooting the Rock that I could bring it back and swap it for the DPMS and he would refund the differance. I was so impressed at the statement that I bought the RRA PP 20", My kid liked the gun so much after that first weekend, he went back to the dealer and bought the 20" coyote, (He liked the skelaton stock on the coyote).
We both love these guns and have plans on getting additional Rock AR's in the near future. Good luck on whatever you buy.----Riflemann

Sorry I forgot to mention, about a month after we bought these AR's I had a chance to shoot a buddies DPMS bull 20 that he had just picked up on gunbroker. I was very glad that I had chosen the Rock River, my buddie got to shoot my Rock and he was very impressed, but he had bought the DPMS on gunbroker for a low price, ($600) and he was on a tight budget with his wife so he said he could not aford the Rock since he only spent $600 on the bull 20. This same tight wad picked up 2 more DPMS's on gunbroker for $1100 and told me he can buy 2 guns for the same as I paid for my one, and I said you get what you pay for. (Some guys are slow learners) This guy has 3 younger kids so I know what it is like to be tight on money, my kids are 30, 28, 24, and long moved out of the house so I have more $$ to spend on toys. I am starting to ramble so Good Luck

Most new AR's are not smooth, especially new in the store. Clean it adaquitly lube shoot it and it will feel better. I think both are good guns. I iust built a franken gun with a rock lower and the finish is rough, rub your fingernail across it and it leaves a mark. But its no safe queen.

Back