Idaho Wolf Down

Bennett

I Filled an Idaho wolf tag this past Saturday. I went out with my brother and good friend on a wolf hunt. A rancher who runs cattle over near Mackay has had some serious wolf issues and even though he has had his cattle out of the area for a little while we thought that we would give it a try. They are still missing 20 cows and have confirmed one was a wolf kill. My brother really was the mastermind behind the hunt and had it all mapped out as he has kicked around in that country before. The three of us archery hunt for elk every fall and have moved from one elk hunting area because of wolves to another area only to have wolves coming out our ears there. We figured to balance the scale just a bit.

We headed out early and got there before sunup and had a dry set. Prior to that set we saw a big ol cow moose without a calf. After the dry set we decided to head up higher. At the end of the two track we hiked up fairly high in the drainage that this rancher had run his cattle. As we hiked up an old creek bed we stumbled on an old beef carcass that had been picked clean. Not too far past that we set up on the edge of a quaky patch and did a set. After playing mule deer fawn in distress for 20 minutes with no takers I went to coyote death cries. After playing that for a few minutes my brother whispered that something was coming in. I catch movement and see a big yellow streak coming in from about 300 yards on the opposite side of the draw. Once it gets closer realize it is a mountain lion. My brother has him at 84 yards in the scope of his 7mm for a couple of minutes before it disappears. Once it passed through the creek bottom I could not see it because of the fall of the ridge. We couldn’t shoot it for two reasons, we had no lion tag and you can't use an electronic caller for lions in that unit. After a couple minutes the lion disappears and we end the stand and lounge around in the late morning sun savoring calling in a lion, the camaraderie, and being outdoors. In retrospect I guess maybe that kitty liked to dine on canine. Or maybe he thought a coyote was having a tough time with a deer and figured to have an easy meal either way. My brother watched it run in from over a half mile away.

After a while we decide to head back to the truck and are looking to head lower and try our luck there. As we get closer to the truck I am a fair distance ahead of my brother and buddy and notice a big "coyote" on top of the ridge next to the truck. Before I can get a shot off it fades behind the ridge gaining elevation slowly going away and up. It is being wary, but in no way is it acting scared of me. I can just see its head and back as it drifts up the ridge in no hurry. After it passes behind some big rocks it disappears. Throwing a hail-Mary, I grab a howler and throw out some ki-yi's. What I am still thinking is a big coyote comes back over the ridge and just stares at me at a little over 200 yards. I am focusing on making an offhand shot and squeeze the trigger once I get the cross-hairs settled on its shoulder still never considering that it is a wolf. It starts to spin and my buddy let's off a shot as it comes out of its spin and heads over the ridge. My brother realizing this is not Wiley Coyote starts running up the ridge and our hunting buddy and myself follow a little lower. As I am getting close to the top I hear my brother holler it’s a wolf! As I crest the ridge there she is in front of me and one more shot puts her down for good. I was shooting my .270 with 140 grain Sierra Boat Tails. The first shot shattered her leg and blew out the bottom of her chest exciting on the opposite side. She was dead on her feet but still working at living. Holy smokes! What a feeling. We have had these wolves shoved down our throat for so long here in Idaho I have never had a more satisfied feeling filling a tag. Now for tag number two!

First time entering pics, hopefully they work out.
DSCN6730.jpg
DSCN6736.jpg
DSCN6742.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome! If you take out one set of those doubled img tags the pictures should show up in the post.

Great job! Beautiful wolf. I saw pics of 6 wolves killed in Idaho a short time back. It's amazing how big they are. Makes you appreciate how little red riding hood must have felt!

Thanks for fixing the pictures Bo and for all the comments all. We were hunting unit 50. We did not get a chance to weigh her but we guessed she was around a 100 lbs give or take a few pounds.

Tremendous, Bennett! That has to be a major rush as well as a satisfying moment after all the havoc those things have caused up there. Good on ya'.

Back