How Rare is a Black Coyote? Trail cam pic.

Mi11z

I have been putting some bait out and hanging a trial cam over it, They are only 2 maybe 3 diff dogs coming by. I have only had 2 come during day light hours and One of them happen to be black!!!!

How rare is a black coyote?

HUNT0594.jpg

HUNT0592.jpg

HUNT0589.jpg

HUNT0588.jpg

IDK, but I just saw my first one comming back from OR this weekend. It was hit on the side of the road. I wanted to stop and pick it up, but I didn't have a license for Idaho and the driver wasn't wanting to stop.

Don't know how rare a black one is but he sure looks cool. I would have to bust him.(would if they were real light too) I shot at one before that was dark but not as dark as this one. Someone on the forum had a post about some of the coyotes in N.Georgia being dark there also. Cool Pic

That one has some awsome coloring with the silver in it. I bet you could make some big $$$ putting someone on that coyote, but I myself would have a full body mount hanging on the wall.

I have plans on haveing a mount done on it if im lucky enough to get a shot, I had put my camra out a few years ago and had a black coyote on it, I wonder how old this dog is?

Originally Posted By: SSharpVery Cool Pics...Better get out there!!!

I went monday but the wind picked up, We have had Thunderstorms every day this week, I wish winter would hurry up and get here..............

Originally Posted By: Caller-4-HireIve seen four black coyotes in 20 yrs of calling and three of them have went on to the great pastures in the sky.

What did you do with the hides? are Black ones worth more?

Pretty Rare if You ask me....anyone around here that shoots a Black Coyote usually gets it mounted!I've only seen 1 Black Coyote in the wild,it was running on the shoulder of our road with a brown colored Coyote about 5:00 in the morning.

A few years ago an older Gentleman showed me the Black Coyote he shot,it had a small diamond shaped patch of white on its chest...other than that is was completely Black.

I was at the Taxidermist the other day and he had 3 Coyotes in a glass case that were just head/shoulder mounts.The top Coyote was Tan-colored and its tongue was out licking the outer side of it mouth,the middle Coyote was darker Brown and had a stick or bone in its mouth...the bottom Coyote was totaly Black and looked like it was sneaking,I'm thinking it looked like snow on the ground and there was an antler laying there too for visual effects?

Last year I shot a cool looking Light-Tan and White colored Female Coyote,my Neighbor is a Trapper and didn't want it because he said it would be too hard to find a match to it so he offered to skin it out and have it Tanned for me.I asked him about it a few months later that year and he had thrown it in a pile with several other pelts and lost it...go figure!
frown.gif

Last edited:
Ive only seen one in my 6 years of hunting coyotes. That same coyote was seen by three different people in one year on our property but is no longer around. I would say someone else shot it.

It seems some areas of the country have considerably more than other places. I have never seen one here, though I do have a good friend that owns a local farm and has sighted one several times on his place. The southeastern United States seems to have more of them than any place I am aware of. Guys here from Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, ect. seem to kill black color phase coyotes fairly often. It is just another color phase like blond or reddish color coyotes. Since I have never seen one I would be excited to kill one and probably would invest in some sort of mount for it.

Back