Shotgun Patterns

Mason

We got a couple new choke tubes for Christmas so we decided to pattern them and I thought I'd share!

26" barrel 870
Patternmaster Choke
3" Dead Coyote "T"
40 Yards
DSCF0669.jpg

26" barrel 870
Patternmaster Choke
3" Dead Coyote "T"
60 Yards
DSCF0668.jpg

26" barrel 870
Cabela's Full (designed for Hevi-Shot)
3" Dead Coyote "T"
40 Yards
DSCF0662.jpg

26" barrel 870
3" Dead Coyote "T"
60 Yards
DSCF0663.jpg

I also like to carry Hevi-Shot #2's for when I am on a bobcat stand and have had good results on bobcats. Here is a pattern out of my shotgun.

28" barrel 870
3" Hevi-Shot #2 Duck
40 Yards
DSCF0667.jpg

Here is a link to each choke tube
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Choke-Tubes-for-Hevi-Shot174/742234.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dchoke%2Btube%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=choke+tube&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/PatternMaster8482-Choke-Tubes-150-Long-Range/709217.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dchoke%2Btube%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=choke+tube

Hopefully this will help you or save you some money patterning your shotgun. That Dead Coyote hurts the shoulder and the wallet!
cursing.gif

I'm pretty happy as-is. Pattern looks like it is dropping at 60 yards but at that range I'm more likely to use my rifle anyways.

I'm very confident at 40 with this setup and in a pinch I'll take the 60 yard shot aiming a touch high. Just have to remember to aim either way!

There is not much "shot pattern density" left at 60 yards with "T" is there? I use Lead "F" in a 2 0z 3 1/2 extra full choke .690. I still maintain an 80% shot density at 60 yards. There is a little drop but very little.

We estimated around 70% of he shot hit the paper at 60 yards with the 3in 1 1/2oz T's on average.

Not my go-to gun at 60 yards, but I've got some faith in it in a pinch. Before the patterning I probably wouldn't have tried at all at that range.

Thanks Mason! Looks good. I got a patternmaster for my benelli but have not patterned it yet. When are we going to call some coyotes? And congrats on the wedding plans. I think you are getting a great girl and a great family to go with her.

Last edited:
You are going to be very disappointed if you shoot at a coyote at 60 yards with any of those.

What do you think about Rich's 50 yard pattern? It looks pretty good to me.
Has anyone actually seen a viable 70 yard pattern as is advertised? I have not.

Rich is an old time coyote killer who made his bones years ago and many times over. That is an obviously excellent killing pattern. Rich knows how to put a pattern on a coyote.

"Has anyone actually seen a viable 70 yard pattern as is advertised? I have not."
------------------------------------------
"sure kill" shotgun patterns at 70 yards are like flying saucers, I can't say they don't exist but I have never seen one.

Back