.450 Bushmaster build

Anyone have one of the .450 Bushmaster with a 20" barrel?

I am thinking of putting one together and wanted some first hand information before I spend the money.

How accurate are they and at what range?

How hard is it to find ammo and how much?

What's the max range on this weapon?

What's the recoil like?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I just went to Cabela's and Midway's websites. For .450 Bushmaster, Cabela's has 1 listing ($20) and Midway has 2 ($30-$33). If you don't reload, this might be a good reason to start.

I bought a 16" BM upper a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to shoot it much at all.

Ammo is about $1.50 a round...reloading I think I figured I'd be able to do it for about $.70/rd. It's probably gonna be about impossible to find locally, but it's online everywhere.

It's supposed to be about a 250yd cartridge. Supposed to be big enough for anything in North America within that range.

Recoil isn't near as bad as I expected. I've only fired a couple rounds through it to see what it was like because of the reputation it has. I was ready to have my world rocked, and when it went off I said out loud "that's it?". I guess I had let the hype make me think it'd be a lot worse. I'd say about like a 20g with bird shot. not pleasant, but not killer.

I installed a Buffer Technologies Enidine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer from MidwayUSA. It has helped with the recoil and cycle rate. I love the big hole in the target. I use Sig 556 magazines. The magazine lips are just right for the 450.

I have a 20" that is a great shooting gun, Recoil isn't that bad and it shoots a 3 shot clover leaf at 100 yards with factory ammo. Ammo is a bit pricy for it, and it's hard to comeby around here. I have dies and bullets, just need some brass to start reloading.

I just looked and Midway has brass in stock!!!

Last edited:
I have 2 of the Remington R-15 .450 Bushmasters with the 18inch barrel without the brake.One is new in box and unfired. I bought 2 on a closeout sale. The furthest that I have shot mine was at 100 yards. Like many on here claim mine will usually touch all 3 of not pretty close. Mine shoots around 3/4 plus or minus a little. Ammo for me is not hard to find at all with Whittakers being a few miles away. The last box that I bought was around $30.00 a box. Im not shure as to how far the max range is but in my opinion 250 yards is about it according to the drop. As far as the recoil is concerned its pretty close to a 243 maybe give or take some on mine. A nice break would help im shure but its deffinatly managable and not an issue at all.

Heres the specs on mine:

-Remington R-15 .450 Bushmaster 18 inch.
-Harris 9-13 bipod.
-Remington Mossy Oak Break-Up sling.
-Leupold Mark AR 3x9x40.
-1 inch. High rings.
- Ammo: Hornady 250gr.FTX

089.jpg

Last edited:
Back