what custom rifle would you guy build for coyote

Originally Posted By: K22My is being built as we speak. Kimber Montana action, trigger, and stock. Lilja #1 in 17 Rem. cut to 22" with a 1:9 twist, stainless matte finish. Talley lightweight mounts and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36. Chan Nagels 25gr. and 30gr. will be the bullets of choice.

Sounds like a great setup. I've always like the Kimber Montana's. I just hear how the accuracy can be hit or miss. But then there are gunsmiths and new barrels to handle that issue.

i all ready got a custom 7mm stw bat action , manners t4a stock , broughten barrel 1-9 twist , nightforce scope , jewell trigger , as far as keeping hide not really but bigger calber kick more and need havey barrrel , don't what to put muzzel brake on it and not alound to use silincer in pa . i do alot of night hunting for yotes

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: K22My is being built as we speak. Kimber Montana action, trigger, and stock. Lilja #1 in 17 Rem. cut to 22" with a 1:9 twist, stainless matte finish. Talley lightweight mounts and a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36. Chan Nagels 25gr. and 30gr. will be the bullets of choice.

Sounds like a great setup. I've always like the Kimber Montana's. I just hear how the accuracy can be hit or miss. But then there are gunsmiths and new barrels to handle that issue.

New barrels and gunsmiths can fix a lot of issues.
smile.gif
I had heard about the hit and miss accuracy problems also, but couldn't resist that perfect lightweight setup, so I bought 2 of them. Besides, my experience has been that some folks have a tough time shooting from a bench and even more so with an rifle that weighs under 7lbs. ready to hunt. Both of mine were in 204 and were bought almost a year apart from each other. Both of them shot the same load way, way under an inch at 100yds. For the newest and the one being rebarreled it was the first 6 rounds after the 2 rounds it took to zero the scope.
I will admit that it has been many years since I've pulled a rifle out of the box, mounted a scope and zeroed it and commenced to shooting groups out of it. My procedure for any new factory rifle is to take it out of the stock, check the bedding, lighten the trigger, retorque the action screws, clean the bore with Wipe Out, colloidal graphite and then go shoot it.
So I don't know if the accuracy was bad in them or not.

Quote:Thanks,
With good shot placement the 40gr Bergers have a quarter size exit. Its pretty easy on the fox compared to most other calibers I've shot.
BTW, that Kimber will be a sweet rifle, I have one in 300 WSM getting re-barreled right now.

That's not much damage at all. I've shot one Bobcat with mine and no exit, but I figured that might have been a fluke. One Bobcat is not enough to tell what a bullet will consistently do. Now with Coyotes, I've not had any exits with the 204..........so far.
thumbup.gif
but I'm still sticking with my 17 Rems. for most of my pelt hunting.
What caliber are you rebarreling your 300 WSM to and what barrel?

Fox is almost a non issue for me. I see very few of them. Guessing I see/get more bobcats than fox. Which really isn't a bad thing. Coyotes are the majority for me, and I use the 35 gr Berger exclusively in the 204 Ruger, or other 20 cals I've owned.

One of my problems is, I love them all, from my 17 Mach IV to my 6XC. Though If I think I may see a fox or cat, I'll grab a 17 or 20 cal. The 22 cal and 6mm's can get pretty nasty on the hides.

Quote:One of my problems is, I love them all, from my 17 Mach IV to my 6XC.

And I thought I was the only one with that disease.
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: skipjackFor just coyote I'd build a 243AI with a 1in8 twist and shoot Berger VLD bullets. Dogs would be in trouble out to 800yds.

+1

You do not need a long range caliber for coyote. Coyote is a pretty short range game. A shot beyond 200 yards is a "once in a blue moon" thing, too rare to even worry about.

Jack

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsYou do not need a long range caliber for coyote. Coyote is a pretty short range game. A shot beyond 200 yards is a "once in a blue moon" thing, too rare to even worry about.

Jack

+1

Jack hit the nail on the head with his post!

Instead of blowing the whole wad on one rifle, I would build two rifles meant for hard work:

Rem 700's stainless actions not trued
Rifle #1- 24" 22/250 AI with a 12" twist to shoot up to 60g bullets @3600 or 55's at 3900+, sporter contour, stock that you can beat heck out of
Rifle #2- 24" 6mmRem AI with 12" twist, shoot the 70's at 3850 fps or 60's at 4400 fps, sporter contour, stock that you can beat heck out of
4x14 or 4x16 scopes scopes of some kind
Std Rem trigger

Speed cuts down on the leade when they are running.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman
Instead of blowing the whole wad on one rifle, I would build two rifles meant for hard work:

Rem 700's stainless actions not trued
Rifle #1- 24" 22/250 AI with a 12" twist to shoot up to 60g bullets @3600 or 55's at 3900+, sporter contour, stock that you can beat heck out of
Rifle #2- 24" 6mmRem AI with 12" twist, shoot the 70's at 3850 fps or 60's at 4400 fps, sporter contour, stock that you can beat heck out of
4x14 or 4x16 scopes scopes of some kind
Std Rem trigger

Speed cuts down on the leade when they are running.

Pretty close to my latest rifles.

Rem 700, 22-250 AI 1-12, #3 SS Shilen and a Sako L579, 6XC, with a 1-10 #3 Shilen, both at 24" long, and both wear McMillans.

The 22-250AI with 55gr Sierra SBT's and 55 Nos BT's just amazes me at times.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K22That's not much damage at all. I've shot one Bobcat with mine and no exit, but I figured that might have been a fluke. One Bobcat is not enough to tell what a bullet will consistently do. Now with Coyotes, I've not had any exits with the 204..........so far.
thumbup.gif
but I'm still sticking with my 17 Rems. for most of my pelt hunting.
What caliber are you rebarreling your 300 WSM to and what barrel?

It's getting a Lothar Walther SS match 26" 1 in 10 twist in 300wsm thats a couple contours heavier to make it a 7.5# gun.
I have yet to get a bobcat to cooperate when I have the 204 in hand. I've never had an exit with a coyote and I've shot a whole bunch with this gun. I tried a 17 furball a couple years ago and didn't care for it, hence the 204.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110Here's my idea of a perfect calling rig.

.17rem
Trued 700
PN, SS,1/9", PN LW con finished @ 24".
McM, Mnt rifle stock, ADL, desert camo.
Bolt Ti fluted.
Barreled action coated in coyote tan cerakote.
Talley LW rings
Leupold VXIII 1.75-6*32 HD.

For me, this is my perfect calling rig.
DSC_1081.jpg

Just when my 17 fever had eased up a little I see her again. Man what a nice rifle that is. This is one of my all time favorites.

Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki

Yeppers, the 22/250 AI with the 12 twist and 55's will just get you to shake your head in disbelief at times! This cartridge is no doubt one of the all time best for coyotes...not much recoil is a plus, also!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: Coyotejunki

Yeppers, the 22/250 AI with the 12 twist and 55's will just get you to shake your head in disbelief at times! This cartridge is no doubt one of the all time best for coyotes...not much recoil is a plus, also!

I got me a box of the 55 gr. BT's to try in my 250 AI when its done.

Back