17 Hornet?

I see that Hornady is making the 17 Hornet a factory round. The numbers for this small and specialized round are intriguing to me.

Has anyone here have any experiece with this particular round? I believe it was called the 17 Ackley Hornet when it was a wildcat round.

For some reason I can see a niche for this round and may consider this summer getting a Contender barrel in that chambering.

Hornady has changed the case slightly from the 17 AH. I believe the shoulder angle is 25*. They are advertising 3,600 or a bit more for velocity. I am getting 3,725 with a 20 grain pill out of the Ackley version. They are a really neat cartridge. Watch your hits right through the scope. Shoot like a lazer beam out to 200 yards. A bunch of punch for a very small cartridge. I did mine on a #3 Ruger.

002-1.jpg

I too have been looking at this round as I have a friend who shoots the 17 Ackley Hornet. Although both are being built off the 22 Hornet case, they are not the same cartridge design and hence Hornady is not legitimizing the 17 AH. As an example, the 17 AH has a 30 degree shoulder and the 17 HH will have a 25 degree shoulder. But they are expected to be pretty similar in down range ballistics.

Whoops! Looks like featherbomb and I were posting at about the same time.

Last edited:
I too am kicking around the idea of the 17h but I want one on a 527 action not the savage. I just don't know what it will do that my 221 dosent do. But it's a thought.

Nice stick featherbomb. I like those rugers

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI too am kicking around the idea of the 17h but I want one on a 527 action not the savage. I just don't know what it will do that my 221 dosent do. But it's a thought.

It is a quieter, less recoil, less powder, and generally termed as the ultimate in a Pelt saving Fox round.

221 is also quiet, no recoil, I'm
Ok with using 15g of powder as opposed to 10, and my 221 leaves itty bitty holes as well.

I really would not be gaining a lot.

Originally Posted By: getfoxy

Sure you would......

A reason for another rifle to feed and care for.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKOriginally Posted By: getfoxy

Sure you would......

A reason for another rifle to feed and care for.

thumbup.gif

thumbup.gif

I gotta wonder why Hornady didn't just market factory rounds for guns that people already have such as the .17 AH which is already widely in use by varminters as a wildcat or, for that matter, the .17 Fireball which, IMO, is even better as an all around varmint round. I could see making a new cartridge if Hornady was also making and selling rifles.

when you start getting below 12g of powder on a load they become so finacky.I have seen when a 1/4grain made a world of diffrence in a 22 Hornet... This has new 17 has possibilities......this would be a welcome change.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI too am kicking around the idea of the 17h. I just don't know what it will do that my 221 dosent do. But it's a thought.

I have to agree Foxy. My 221 is one #^*@# (heck) of a cartridge. But the 17H might be fun to play with.
thumbup1.gif

I am yet to see anyone shoot a 17AH and not fall in love with the round. It is just plain fun to shoot. They tend to be very, very accurate and shoot like a laser to 200 yards with zero recoil or muzzle jump. Watch every bullet impact through the scope. I will be surprised if it isn't a big hit.

Originally Posted By: basdjsI gotta wonder why Hornady didn't just market factory rounds for guns that people already have such as the .17 AH which is already widely in use by varminters as a wildcat or, for that matter, the .17 Fireball which, IMO, is even better as an all around varmint round. I could see making a new cartridge if Hornady was also making and selling rifles.

Because the folks that run wildcat stuff load their own.They would have no use for a factory round.

The 17 A-hornet is the most enjoyable and fun round I've ever had. Just like has been said, low recoil high performance for such a small round. Turns little vermin inside out.

Originally Posted By: featherbombHornady has changed the case slightly from the 17 AH. I believe the shoulder angle is 25*. They are advertising 3,600 or a bit more for velocity. I am getting 3,725 with a 20 grain pill out of the Ackley version. They are a really neat cartridge. Watch your hits right through the scope. Shoot like a lazer beam out to 200 yards. A bunch of punch for a very small cartridge. I did mine on a #3 Ruger.

002-1.jpg

Mighty sexy gun you got there Aaron! Looks like wonderful fun too. Might just have to do something very similar to what you got there.

Back