Anyone Duracoat their own Scope

Smokin Barrel

I am considering duracoating a new scope but have to admit the whole idea is a little unnerving to me. I have been researching for what seems like weeks and honestly dont have any experience with the product. Any pointers, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear (and see) all the great results, but please don't heitate to share the not-so-good results either if you have them...thanks

I have done 15 or 20..... Just tape off what you dont want dura-coated.... scuff lightly with fine steel wool.... I mean very lightly....rub down with alchol and paint away.....
I will see if I can get you some pics of one or two I have done....
Beware: dont do a rubber coated scope......

I've done 4 or 5 guns myself. Duracoat is a homerun!
Only thing i can add to Vatminter's comments is to spend plety of time in preping and wear rubber gloves to be sure that there is no grease left by your fingers.

I tape the ends across the scopes with several pieces of tape and press them against a flat object to seal the ends good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelWhat way is best to protect the glass?

I've done a bunch, I fill the objective with cotton balls and tape over it for insurance. I don't paint the inside of the bell.

I plug the muzzle with a foam ear plug, and use pipe insulation and masking tape to fill and seal the receiver and action.

Pretty danged easy actually.

On my first one, I covered the glass with child's play clay..No problems and the residue was easy to remove...Later ones, I just covered the openings with strips of Duct Tape and it worked just as well...

One of the other concerns I had was when to remove any tape I had used to mask anything...ie the turrets or SF. Would it be best to allow the duracoat to dry completely before removing or will that have a tendency not leave a "neat" line?

Tape was removed after drying.

port2.jpg

if ur like me it wont mater wat kind of pattern u use or wat colors ur first time....u'll just want to do it over once u get the hang of it. i painted my pellet gun twice before starting on my hunting rifle

I've done a few. I stuff the glass area with cotton balls and then use tape. I make sure to push it down tight when I'm spraying in the area.

I've never had any leakage. My latest (not as cool as usngunner above, but hey):

IMG_0295.jpg

3c12da05.jpg

I use blue painters tape but never touch the glass. I put the tape over the ends and then trim it.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0779-1.jpg

Being able to use an airbrush really lets you get creative. If you want it to turn out right prep prep prep.

Back