How to pick a good coyote hound

roode301

Ok guys school me.Want to maybe get into hunting coyotes with hounds. what should I look for.Best breed,style,size,best nose,and jump dogs.Can I take some coonhound pups and turn them into good dogs.I hunted with some guys that had some dogs and by my standards 2 dogs were ok and the rest should have stayed in the box.We have a mix of open fields and heavy wood lots and creeks.want real good cold trackers if posible.Thanks Steve

steve, as for Best breed,style,size,best nose,and jump dogs it can be found in all breeds of hounds. as in all breeds there`s good and bad and not all hounds can do it all. i personally run all redbones on yotes. your best bet is to find what type of hound your looking for and what will work best for the type of terrain your running. make sure if you get a started hound you see it run 1st and not in a pen. i do know a guy in ohio that is a member of my website below that has some nice hounds for sale on there. if you have any ?`s feel free to call me at 585-216-5113, matt(kc)

We run a lot of cross between coonhound and running walkers. We also use running walkers. Pick what you like and train them right should have good dog.

Kc catches lots of coyotes, and I know a few others who do swell, but myself, I will not use a tree dog of any kind on coyotes. They are way too hot nosed for me, and they push a track slower than I like, and there mouth opens up way too much for my taste.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bash your dogs or anything, I know they get the job done and look good doing it too!
Just not my cup of tee.

I would look for a good running walker out of good stock. I would also stay away from any crogen dogs. (I'm sure I misspelled that)

jess, coonhounds hot nosed ? i find it to be the other way around. now that your a yankee again, were gonna hook up and have a run.

I met a guy that has running\treeing walkers some of the biggest I have seen.They are real gamey and will flat out hunt just about any thing he uses them for.But I am more of a black&tan or redbone plotts kinda guy

Mat, all that I meant is every one I have run with want to stick their nose in every track, and bark on every other one.

We are definitely gonna have to hook up some time and stretch some yotes. Ill bring some high powered albino dalmatians with me!

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyYup, sorry chuppa, I didn't tell many people, kindof a last min thing. I'm in Michigan now.

You robbed another train again didn't ya
tt2.gif

That's alright bro, American flies to Michigan to
thumbup1.gif

Chupa

Well come on bub, the running is just heating up! And the beer is really cold this time of the year!

Alright roode, sorry about hijacking your thread, it was chuppas fault!

Bottom line, get a dog and try it, the worst thing that could happen is you get a dud, cull it and try something different. Have fun and let us know what you do.

I'm not new to coyote hunting but I'm very intrigued by the decoy dog concept (might be my new approach). Has anyone used Australian Shepherds or anything similar for decoying?? I know they're very intelligent and kind of look like a yote. Someone please enlighten me. What breeds are the best?

Last edited:
Back