Nighttime coon calling?

Fullquiver

I was wondering if any of you guys have much experience calling coon at night? If you do, what are you using for sounds and setups. I have read a lot about daytime calling but with my schedule nighttime calling would give me a lot more opportunity to call.

Been talking to (reading
wink.gif
) Pro_hunt on this site. He's been doing some very effectively. I'm betting he'll chime in. He's been a great help to me.

Unfortunately, not legal here either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FullquiverI was wondering if any of you guys have much experience calling coon at night? If you do, what are you using for sounds and setups. I have read a lot about daytime calling but with my schedule nighttime calling would give me a lot more opportunity to call.

Alright; HideHunter talked me into putting in my 2 cents. LOL

I do the same things as I do when calling during the day except I don't use the decoy. With that said though we usually only call a couple hours after it gets dark so they are still in or pretty close to their dens. As the night goes on I would maybe look to some food sources to call if the den trees quit producing.

Almost forgot one other thing we do differently at night. Instead of sitting off to the side of the caller we will sit pretty much in line with the caller. We do this so when they look at the caller they are also looking in our direction so their eyes light up from our lights.

If anyone does read this post again [beeep] I use a turbo dog Ecaller if I'm setting up a stand just for safety purposes but the best way I've found and it's less boring is I use a diaphragm call and I walk around with a head light, sometimes I even use a bow with a bow light or a crossbow with a scope light but I always use a headlight ..you would be supprised at how many eye's you see when your just walking back and forth thru your woods. Fox & coon for that matter! Some yotes even

Here is what I have found regarding calling raccoon...night time is definitely best. I was never able to get raccoon to come to the call on a regular basis like I can fox. They just don't do it. We have a pretty good coon population here and always have. I have tried all different sounds and the most response I got was either a woodpecker in distress or a chicken. If you want to do this just for the sport of calling you will probably get bored quick and quit eventually because of the lack of action.
Now, if you just want to kill raccoon or deplete the population or control damage or sell a lot of fur, here is what you want to do....take an e-caller that has a fight sound on it, such as the bobcat/fox or coyote/fox or any of the ones involving raccoon. Go to the middle of a field and play the call and shine the tree line for eyes. It is always best if you go on a dark moonless night and not right after dark when they move the most...middle of the night they tend to lay up for a while. When you see eyes walk over and shoot them. Don't need camo, don't need to sit down or get in an ideal set up, the bigger the field the better because you can see more tree line...more tree line equals better chance of seeing one or more.
I have always found an amber color lens to work the best, just not white bright light...they do have sensitive eyes and they wont look at all if they have been treed by dogs and shined.

Back