Coyote Howling Videos

Kendog

Folks, I'm looking for recommendations on a few coyote howling videos to purchase or to trade around. Bust-a-yote mentioned 'Doggin Coyotes' in a previous post. I want to learn the details of various howls and sounds: aggressive vs challenge, lonesome vs female invitation, etc. Please list the title, with a short description, and where to get it. Thank you.

The only howling video I have came with a Sceery howler. Mr Sceery gives his thoughts on what coyote vocalizations mean and when and how to use his call it shows a couple of hunts but mostly Ed talking about his call. I like the call a lot better than the video.

Doggin coyotes and power howling for coyotes by E.L.K. are good. And Randy Anderson's Calling All Coyotes is also very good. If I can be off any more assistance please email me.

Snowbound

Kendog , i have not seen a video yet that could explain clearly the diffrent types of howls.Randy andersons video is the best i have seen , it tought me alot about howling . sceerys howling video did little for my knowledge . I think the best way to learn the diff, is to get out in the field and learn ,That seemed to be the only thing that worked for me . But sometimes i can be a hard learner LOL. good luck in your search . If you do find a good one please let me know . lol. Best of luck, jerry .

------------------
If you call them they will come-- FOX PRO.

Jerry,
When you are ready for another calling video, click on the E.L.K. link which I posted above. They have two "dogging coyotes" video,s that shows coyotes challenging the dogs. The sounds those coyotes make, and being able to see them do it is really an eye opener for those callers who are serious about howling up coyotes.

Kendog,
I have known several guys who claimed to know all about coyote language, but none of them knew quite as much as they thought they did. I really doubt that anyone knows "everything" about coyotes and their language. If you can learn the "lonesome" howl, the "challenge" howl and some coyote distress squalls you will be ready to go hunting. Those "dogging coyotes" video's are a MUST SEE in my pea brained opinion. Problem is, everytime I get to thinking I know all the calling secrets then Mr. coyote throws me a curve ball.
smile.gif

As was posted above,Ed Sceery's video "Howling for Coyotes" is one of the most informative videos on the market.Doesn't have alot of footage of calling stands,and kills,but for the meat and potatoes of howling to call coyotes it's a hard one to beat...GOOD HUNTING

I have not seen the E.L.K. vid yet. Might have to pick one up.

I have to agree with Jerry though. I haven't seen a vid that I felt could take a novice and give him the tools he needs. It is just not something you can watch and go out and do. You have to put some time in annoying the wife, kids, dogs, cat's, and neighbors with your dedicated practice. LOL
smile.gif

Both of Randy Andersons vids were very strong in the howling dept. I recommend them highly.

Sceerys vid could help identify the different sounds that coyotes make, if you stay awake. LOL. Learning the difference between a warning bark and hunting bark is certainly a plus. heh heh

The two best things I did to help my howling was:
#1 If you don't own a couple recordings of coyote vocalizations, get a couple. Then grab your open reed and try to imitate it. It won't be perfect but you will be surprised how close you can come. A couple Johnny Stewart tapes can help a lot. Lone howl, challenge, pup distress would be a great start. You could buy all three for under $30 and listen till your hearts content.

#2 My favorite is simply going out night calling. The coyotes are much more talkative at night. I just start off with some friendly lone howls and try and imitate the responses.

Nothing is as valuable as getting in the field and experimenting. You will quickly find out what does and does not work.

Good luck
smile.gif

Rob , where does a guy get that video ? I have never heard of it . Rich , thanks for the heads up , I still have alot to learn about howling , and im sure these will help . Curt , Your so right about the field work , I used to sneak up on coyotes i would see off the road , and give them a howl or two . This had alot to do with what i learned about what and when to howl.Sceery video helped a little , but for the most part , it confused me . Perhaps i should watch it again now that i have a little more experiance . Jerry .

Jerry,
I bought them from Craig O'Gorman here in Montana .
Craig O'Gorman
Box 491
Broadus,Montana 59317
406-436-2234
there are three tapes I have one and two.
All the calling is done during spring and summer using dogs. Send me a E-Mail before you decide to buy a tape. spotmeyers@aol.com

Jerry,
I watched that same video and it didn't impress me either. The dogging coyotes video's from E.L.K. will show you the real thing. The dogs are mainly for spring and summer work, but the same sounds will work all year. You will call the old dominate coyotes mostly ( at least I THINK so) but that's alright ain't it?
smile.gif

Heck yeah Rich , thems the coyotes i target anyways . If you get rid of the old smart ones , the young and dumb are alot easier without a babysitter to teach them all the new tricks . LOL.

Back