Can someone explain the Savage model numbers to me?

LeviSS

I have found that the 2 digit (model 10, 11) are their short actions and the 3 digit (110, 111) are the long actions.

What's the difference between the model 10, 11, 12, etc? Everytime I think I have it figured out, I find out I don't. All the numbers and letters are very confusing.
huh.gif

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake B - Laminate Stock BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Cl ip (Detachable Box Magazine) F - Synthetic Stock G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Fl oorpl ate L - Left Hand ML - Muzzleloader NS - No Sights
P - Police SS - Stainless Steel T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel) XP - Package Gun Y - Youth

Thanks. I was able to find that stuff but still don't understand what makes the 11 different from the 12, etc.

To my understanding it just has to do with the finish and options. Double digits are short action and triple digit long action. As for difference between 10,11,12,14. Same action but different barrel contour, stock finish, bolt handle, mag vs non mag etc. 10 being sort of a base model, but seems like 11s are taking that place with 10s offering more options now. 14s being more fancy finish. Oh yeah forgot 16s. There the weather warrior series. I believe usually stainless with a muzzle brake. Hope that makes sense and helps you out.

10- sporter barrel synthetic stock (model 10 predator is heavy barrel though.)
11- pretty much the same as the 10
12- varmint barrel
14- classic series wood stock sporter barrel
16- weather warrior stainless

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe there is only a few small differences in actions. Depends on long action vs. short action. Staggered feed vs. center feed magazines. Also what factory cal. your barrel comes chambered in. WSM/Rum vs. other chamberings. Long actions have a screw spacing of 5.062", the staggered feed Short actions, which are older, have a 4.25" spacing, and the newer center feed Short Actions have a screw spacing of 4.4" spacing. That is something to consider when ordering a different stock for a savage. As for chambering on your barrels I believe the Rums and WSM use the larg shanks and all others use small shank. Not sure if thats quite accurate or not thou on the shanks. I also believe if it is a pre-accutrigger savage before 06 the rear of reciever is flat for your base mount but anything newer with accu-trigger is round. So I guess my statement in my last post is wrong there is some differences.... Hopes this helps.

I think chase7 is on to something. I own a model 12BVSS it is SS with a fluted barrel in .223. Now, my model 10 is a black heavy barrel with a choate stock with a magazine in 308. Your guess is as good as mine. The person to ask is Fred, at Sharp Shooter Supply and buy a trigger from Fred, the best trigger for Savages. My model 12 breaks at 1 pound.

Warpig602 has the letters right, Thanks Warpig602.

10= heavy barrel tactical (maybe a few exceptions)
11= sporter
12= varmint
14= classic
16= stainless

Same action. Barrels, stocks, triggers may be different.

Last edited:
Another thing is the Savage Site isn't very User Friendly...as mentioned it can be pretty hard to navigate and I have found it hard to find certain Guns in certain Calibers,I don't think they up-date it with their newer Calibers......to me thay have way too many variations in all the Rifles ...but I guess that what makes the world go round and everyone likes something different than everyone else?
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Back