.257 Roberts for Hogs and Dogs?

Vartarg217

Hunting wild hogs and coyotes often go together, and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with using the 75gr Vmax on wild hogs?

I'm heading west in a couple of weeks and will hunting both, and thinking about whether I need a heavier or denser bullet for the hogs as opposed to the yotes, or will be fine with the Vmax's....

Thanks for the feedback....

George

From what little I know about hogs. They have a pretty tough hide. I think I'd want a little tougher bullet so I didn't have to worry about one splashing. Vmax bullets aren't designed for critters like hogs. But I'm sure somewhere there is a guy that swears by Vmax's for hogs.

Hey ! I love seeing some one else shooting a 257 roberts, Great gun! My son shoots a ruger 257 roberts . He shoots 117 grain boattail for deer and coyotes we loaded some 87 grain. Hasn't shot the v-max. If you put in the right place he's going down but sounds a little light for hogs. I personaly like having a heaveier bullet for hogs but thats just me. I need all the help I can get.

It's not the perfect hog bullet, but if you stick that little V-max in the sweet spot (a couple inches behind and an inch below the ear), you'll see a classic drop and paddle. I'd be reluctant to take body shots on hogs over 75 pounds or so though.

I have a Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts my Dad bought me as a kid. I have killed a ton of stuff with that gun. We shoot Pigs with 117gr. Round Nose and it is Deadly. Just bought a box of Nosler AccuBond 25cal to load...should be Awesome on Pigs. I shoot 140gr. AccuBonds in my 7mm-08 and love them.

I have a Winchester model 70 featherweight in .257 Roberts. Great gun, but almost too nice. I'm going to want a synthetic stock for it be for I take it out in the brush for some serious varmint hunting.

Can't resist showing a pic of mine.....it's a Kimber Montana, with a Zeiss Conquest 3X9....

3dab14b9.jpg

Light weight is becoming more important...approaching the 72nd birthday, and humping a 9lb rifle doesn't suit me......

I think a 257 roberts would be a dandy cartridge for hogs and coyotes, but I would probably look at a nosler 100 grain ballistic tip or similar type bullet rather than the v-max.

Thanks for the feedback...I picked up some 80gr Barnes TTSX for the hogs, and will use the Vmax's for the coyotes.....I've already got a bunch of them loaded up and sighted in.

George

My old man deer hunts with a pre 64 model 70 in 257 roberts. It shoots great with heavy or light bullets, deadly on deer so ii would guess unless you are going for russians or really large swine the roberts would work great. I have killed dozens of hogs with a 22lr so it just needs to be good shot placement.

Back