.204 Loads????

wisel86

Hey guys, im sure its on here somewhere but i cant find it.

Im getting ready to start reloading for my .204 and im wondering what you have had good groups with.

And if you were buying a starter kit which would you go with? Hornady? or RCBS?

My best .204 groups are with 39gr Sierra BlitzKing bullets, 26.3gr of Winchester 748 powder and CCI Magnum Small Rifle primers...The brand of brass seems to be of little matter, just trimmed and processed to spec in most manuals..This combination works best in both my AR and my CZ..

As far a reloading starter kits,,,Someone else will have to comment on those two...I've had the RCBS many years ago and it was nice for the purposes I needed, but things may have changed over the years..

39 grain Sierra BK's and a max charge of H4895, CCI BR4 primer. This is my ground squirrel/rock chuck load. For coyotes I substitute either the 35 or 40 grain Bergers. As far as starter kits go, I don't think you could go wrong with either one but my vote goes to RCBS.

This is my PD load. 32gr vmax with 28gr of benchmark.
5 shots at 100 yards under a dime!4000 fps
390049_10150450438697301_512927300_9185828_854250822_n.jpg

My coyote loads are 35 gr bergers loaded with 26.4 gr of benchmark. they shoot just as tight! 3800 fps!

If coyotes are your intended target then you gotta try the 35gr or 40gr Bergers

My rifle shot both very well, so I chose to go with the heavier 40grainers and could not be happier

I'm using Ramshot X-Terminator for my powder

My Savage 12 likes IMR3031 and 39 Sierra.. It will shoot Bergers, but the Sierra consistantly group tighter.

As for reloading gear, I have been using the same RCBS stuff since the mid seventies or so. Hornday makes some good stuff as well and I doubt you'd go wrong with their stuff.

As for primers I use the Fed small rifle match, or the Remington 7-1/2. The cups are thicker and resist piercing.. A cci 400 will pierce more often than not.. CCI 450's have a thick cup as well and won't pierce..

I am just getting in to the 204 so no load data available from me but I have a rockchucker and a hornady lnl ap and love them both. If you want inexpensive go with the Lee but when you look at the chuck, hornady classic, or any other they cost about the same so depends on what color you want. I prefer Lee dies and powder measurer but love the 505 scale and chuck press.

Most of my equipment (press, chargemaster, etc) is RCBS. Good equipment and they back their products. Check the above listed site for .204 loads, and remember to WORK UP to the max loads. I use Benchmark powder for 32 and 39 gr blitzkings in my guns. Not quite a max load, but close, and they shoot well.

Depends on the gun for the loads... my ruger varmit 204 (26" barrel) likes the 32gr V-MAX with 28.5 gr of Varget and a Reminton 7 1/2 primer with a 2.250 COAL... however if I change to the 35 or 40 gr berger things change a bit (still working these loads)

As far as a started reloading set I like the RCBS rockchucher press set..

Use the information that is on IMR reloading data center. This is where I got my data for using 32 and 39 gr bullets with 8208 powder. Check it out it may work well for you too.

CCI BR-4 primers, BL-C2 powder and either 32 gr V-Max or 39 gr Sierra Blitz Kings. They've both shot very good for me

For reloading, RCBS.

wisel86... keep in mind some of these guys are posting loads that are PAST max load listed in reloading manuals.. please please please, start off with the minimum load and work your way up and check for any over pressure signs. There are several factors that effect a load besides just powder... one example I can tell you is altitude.. my brothers loads that work great for him were showing signs of extreme over pressure for me... same exact gun (yes I bought it from him), same load... only difference was altitude.

Originally Posted By: Warnbergwisel86... keep in mind some of these guys are posting loads that are PAST max load listed in reloading manuals.. please please please, start off with the minimum load and work your way up and check for any over pressure signs. There are several factors that effect a load besides just powder... one example I can tell you is altitude.. my brothers loads that work great for him were showing signs of extreme over pressure for me... same exact gun (yes I bought it from him), same load... only difference was altitude.

Exactly. That's why I'll tell you what powder I use but not the charge. You have to work up your load yourself. Each firearm is different.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

Last edited:
Back