springfield 1911 trigger adjustment

Smokin250

picked up Springfield 1911 the other day. Trigger is much to heavy for my taste. my question is how do i adjust it? it has the small allen head screw in trigger, i didn't know if it was as easy as turning it until i was happy like my x-mark trigger in 700 or if there was another trick to it. Figured id ask first before i started tinkering with it.

Thanks
Brian

I'd have to look at the manual again, but I believe the screw is just for overtravel or take up, I don't think it adjusts the pull weight.

Originally Posted By: RMAdventureI'd have to look at the manual again, but I believe the screw is just for overtravel or take up, I don't think it adjusts the pull weight.

Absolutely correct; the setscrew in the trigger only adjusts trigger (and subsequently sear) overtravel. If you don't know what you're doing, you can very easily make the gun very dangerous - or even totally nonfunctional.

If you're not intimately familiar with how a 1911 functions and have experience doing trigger jobs, don't monkey with it! You'll just destroy either the hammer and/or the sear, and have to replace them, and you can easily make the gun unsafe.

My advice is to take the gun to a gunsmith that you trust and have him address the trigger pull.

Last edited:
I agree that a 1911 trigger can be made unsafe pretty quickly if you don't have the right tools and knowledge. I wouldn't trust the average gun shop "gunsmith" either. I'd make sure it was someone with the proper jig and experience with 1911 triggers.

that is what i needed to know. thanks guys. ill have to ask a guy i know and see if he can help me out. Hes pretty familiar with 1911's and has done some pretty sweet stuff with them

Please find a gunsmith, I have one also and it has a nice 4 pound pull now. He recut the sear and hammer. He changed the hammer spring. Let a pro to it. $75

smokin250:

I echo the advice on taking the pistol to a gunsmith who is a professional pistolsmith, and NOT to a talented friend.

The 45 ACP 1911 is supposed to have a 4lb trigger pull in order to prevent slam firing i.e. automatic rather than semi-automatic [as designed] function.

Springfield will NOT validate a new firearm warranty that has departed from a design parameter, nor should they or any other manufacturer.

So, be safe out there.

To really polish the trigger pull, the sear and hammer hook will need to be squared and stoned; at least according to my smith.

Because the three finger spring costs between $5.00 and $10.00 and is easily replaceable, I will toy with tweeking tension on the trigger section of the spring. Seems to lighten the trigger pull.

if you cant find a good gunsmith in your area, i would send it back to Springfield Armory. they have excellent customer service and a full custom shop. which model did you end up with?

I got the 1911 A1 with night sites

dy9nox.jpg

Back