Remington 30 AR.

buck183

Long time lurker, fairly new member. Looking for some feedback on this caliber and gun both from anyone that has experience with it.

EDIT...for the record I've searched this forum to death prior to posting. Couldn't find anything.

Here's the scenario...

I'm interested in one. Already have a predator gun. So no, this will not be used for any predator calling. It's intended purpose will be for hogs. I get the opportunity to hog hunt a lot in Texas and my current setup is just too sensitive to shot placement.

I'm looking for more knockdown power, more firepower, and want to stay in the AR 15 platform due to weight.

I've already done all the research as far as the ballistics go. I just haven't heard any real world feedback on them yet.

Let me have it....

Buck

Last edited:
Santa Claus brought me the gun in question for Christmas this year.

Optics, mount, and ammunition are all ordered with expected arrival sometime this week.

After looking this thing over I have a couple of questions that would probably apply to anyone with an R15.

I'd like to add a rail or two to the forearm so I can do a hard mount for my EWT 250 kill light. No biggy. Remmy has rails I can order on their website that are already camo matched to my gun. There's a small problem with the forearm and the way it's indexed on the gun though. Neither the flutes or the vents on the forearm are indexed perfectly at the 12 o'clock position. Due to this none of them match up at the 3,6,and 9 o'clock position either. They are about 10-15 degrees off. That will make it pretty much impossible to drill and tap holes for the new rails. Any thoughts on this? Don't think I can break the threads loose and re-index the forearm.

This gun came with a standard plastic buttstock in their camo pattern. I would like a collapsible stock on it if possible. Remington offers an R15 with a collapsible stock on their site. If you try to call and order one you can forget it. The story for the answer I got is entirely too long to type out.

I've seen a couple of threads on here giving part #'s for this stock. Remmy said no dice. Unless it came with one and it's broke they won't sell me one. My redneck head has a real tough time accepting this answer. Anyone have a backdoor way to get one?

Thanks if advance...

Buck

There was a collapsible R-15 stock in the classifieds yesterday I think. It might still be there, not sure.

Get on the bushmaster site,download parts list and a collapsable stock in max-1will be on there.about $135.00.comes with spring and buffer. From my understanding,bushmaster makes the whole gun except the barrel. I'll be ordering one in a week or two.

Originally Posted By: tronGet on the bushmaster site,download parts list and a collapsable stock in max-1will be on there.about $135.00.comes with spring and buffer. From my understanding,bushmaster makes the whole gun except the barrel. I'll be ordering one in a week or two.

I'll get on their site and check that out. Thank you.

It's also my understanding that the R15s are all Bushy and the 25s are DPMS. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think the 30 is a DPMS. Here's why. DPMS makes a 30 upper and Bushy doesn't. I believe the R15s have a two stage trigger like Bushmaster does but the 30 AR does not. Also leading me to believe the 30 AR is a DPMS. Remington indicated this to be so also.

Keep the info coming all. It's appreciated.

Buck

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I don't believe the camo on the .30 Rem is Max-1...I just handled one last week & the camo is different than my R-15 w/collapsable stock. May or may not be important to you. Take a look at both of them on Gunbroker or Remington's website...

I intend to pull the manual and box on my gun when I get to my office tomorrow and verify pattern prior to ordering. I was wondering the same thing myself.

Buck

Yeh DPMS, I bought a unfired 30Rem AR barrel off of Gunbroker and it came from Element Arms who are near DPMS. I intend to do an upper build but didnt realize the upper receiver has proprietary/unique internal dimensions. I will need to order the receiver and BCG from DPMS.

Last edited:
[img:center]http://
30ARTarget3.jpg
[/img]

I have had mine for a while now and I haven't had any issues with it and she shoots great for me. You won't be disappointed.

I don't have any first hand experience with one, but I think it's got to be the best hunting round going in an ar. I know you can get some pretty cool wildcats but at least you can order ammo for this thing. Only big down fall is it is backed by Remington and they will probably drop it in a few years. And I think it does use an ar10 barrel extension. Wilson combat makes a few of them too if you call and ask. Bill Wilson is a big fan. It's pretty much a 300 savage which I think is a great hunting round. I would by one if there was a little more industry support

Guys, thanks for the owner feedback and thoughts on this platform and round. It's appreciated.

To thank you all I'll post a couple of pics of the finished product for you. Got everything mounted Saturday evening and bore sighted. Haven't had a chance to put it on paper yet.

I have a case of 125 gr accu tips ready to go.

Glass is a Leupold 30-9x40 Firedot. I went with the Burris P.E.P.R. mount due to the additional mounts it has on top of the rings. Plan to put some sort of tactical glass on top for use when we're running and gunning close up on
hogs.

Not included in the pic is the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250 kill light and their rail mount that I put on it today.

Here she is. Feel free to ridicule, I have thick skin.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

Ok ! I have been shooting 30AR before they hit the stores. I built one using some of AR 15 performance 6mmbr bolts and barrel extensions. It is a hog killing machine. I loaded some of the sierra 110 varmint bullets with the big hollow points. the accuracy is very good and they really thump a hog. I can't figure out why they have not caught on with hog hunters. I use 450 bushmaster clips with mine . I modify mine to hold 7 rounds. You can get a 30 round plastic magpul clip to hold around 13 rounds . I have a 23" barrel on my rig and get 3100fps + with handloads and 110 grain bullets. I am going to get a suppessor next year when I get my permit back. Thanks! Mark

Back