00 Buckshot for Coyotes

bigtrucker

I have always been a big fan of using 3" 00 Buckshot,but on PM I see everyone seems to use #4. I realize there are alot more pellets in the #4, but witn 5 1/2 drams of powder and 15 pellets, it only take 1 or 2 of these pellets to get the job done. I know the 3 1/2 have 19 pellets I think. I am just wondering to know what your thought and experience on this are? Pros vs. Cons. Thanks

I would try it - if it were legal in Pa.

Largest legal buckshot that can be used for hunting purposes here is #4.

check your game regs

Last edited:
It only takes one #4 also. But you have a lot more chances to get that one. Both cary killing energy farther than you can consistantly hit, but with more shot in the air you get a bit more range with #4.

There are 17 pellets in a 3 1/2 00 buck shell. That's what i use. Either one will get the job done if you are at an effective shotgun kill range. Everyone wants to keep trying to make a shotgun effective at longer and longer distances. Keep the shots within an appropriate range and you won't have any problems.

Here are Shotgun regs. in Illinois for Coyote hunting, shotguns using any type
of shell except for slugs (note... there are
exceptions for slugs during the firearm
deer seasons when coyote hunting is
closed except to deer hunters with unfilled
firearm deer permits in their possession).
When hunting with a shotgun,
make sure that the magazine has been fitted
with a plug which makes the shotgun
incapable of firing more than three consecutive
shots.

Originally Posted By: utah_1911There are 17 pellets in a 3 1/2 00 buck shell. That's what i use.

Originally Posted By: utah_1911 I'm running a dead coyote choke and #4 buck....or so i thought. As we tried to figure out what happened I realized in the heat of the moment I had loaded my #4 turkey loads into the gun instead of my #4 buck.

You seem to use a little of everything.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes
utah_1911 said:
There are 17 pellets in a 3 1/2 00 buck shell. That's what i use.

Originally Posted By: utah_1911 I'm running a dead coyote choke and #4 buck....or so i thought. As we tried to figure out what happened I realized in the heat of the moment I had loaded my #4 turkey loads into the gun instead of my #4 buck.

You seem to use a little of everything.

This is true
smile.gif

Doggin knows a he!! of a lot more than I do BT.

Btw Doggin, you not been out lately? Haven't seen any pics of dead coyotes from you for a while...

Not trying to hijack BT
smile.gif

00 Buck is too big for Coyotes and it tends to scatter much more quickly than smaller shot. Use #4 you will be happier with it than 00. I use lead BBs which is smaller than 4 and it works fine up to at least 40yds.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersanother way for getting more lead downrange is to shoot both barrels on a side by side...

Lol

1911, been some health issues in my family and I haven't been out in quite awhile.

I'm going to be having some health issues of my own if I don't get out and kill something soon! I feel *stuff* building up inside. Something is gonna catch the wrath of this pent up *stuff* very soon.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: N WolfIt only takes one #4 also. But you have a lot more chances to get that one. Both cary killing energy farther than you can consistantly hit, but with more shot in the air you get a bit more range with #4.

If you are talking about number 4 buckshot make sure you say number 4 buckshot. There is a huge difference between #4's and number 4 buckshot. People that are just learning about shotguns and shot sizes could get the wrong ammo if they don't know the difference.

For the small coyotes that we hunt I like BB size shot for coyotes because of the higher pellet count. Bass Pro Shops has Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz Tungsten BB loads for only $9.98 per box of 10 shells. Tungsten BBs flat smoke coyotes at 50 yards and less and there are 59 pellets in each 1-1/4 oz load. It is much easier to get a good pattern with 59 pellets than it is to get a good pattern with 17 pellets.

Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz loads of copper coated lead BBs have 98 pellets per shell. I would rather hit a coyote with 10 or 15 BB pellets than one or two 00 buckshot pellets.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes1911, been some health issues in my family and I haven't been out in quite awhile.

I'm going to be having some health issues of my own if I don't get out and kill something soon! I feel *stuff* building up inside. Something is gonna catch the wrath of this pent up *stuff* very soon.
smile.gif

I sure hope everything is ok
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: N WolfIt only takes one #4 also. But you have a lot more chances to get that one. Both cary killing energy farther than you can consistantly hit, but with more shot in the air you get a bit more range with #4.

If you are talking about number 4 buckshot make sure you say number 4 buckshot. There is a huge difference between #4's and number 4 buckshot. People that are just learning about shotguns and shot sizes could get the wrong ammo if they don't know the difference.

Good call, my bad.

Originally Posted By: GCExcellent post here, I've learned a thing or two from this...
smile.gif

Well, well now. Why don't you just go right on ahead and make a list of the things you've learned.

Start from most important to least. Number them and keep it simple so I'm able to follow along.
smile.gif

Back