what custom rifle would you guy build for coyote

yamadog

I was think about building another custom but just a light weight gun for coyote . but don't know what calber to get . i reload . wildcats are not out of the pic . my thoughts where surgeon action , broughten barrel, jewell trigger . and mabe night vision scope . not sure on stock mabe tube gun . i got a manners stock and bat action on my last gun witch is a nice stock . but might be a little on the heavy side . calber wise i was thinking 243 neck down to 22 . 22-250 ackely imp , or 222 . hopeful you guy can give me some ideas to make me spend money lol

Last edited:
Surgeon action is the best action on the market. Wicked smooth action. I run a surgeon, krieger barrel, Jewell trigger with a kmw stock. I shoot more precision rifle with it but long range predator hunting with this rig is amazing in west Texas

Originally Posted By: IrrigatorSurgeon action is the best action on the market. Wicked smooth action. I run a surgeon, krieger barrel, Jewell trigger with a kmw stock. I shoot more precision rifle with it but long range predator hunting with this rig is amazing in west Texas

+1 on surgeon kreiger and jewell...

but i would run a mcmillan Lazzeroni Sporter.

you may want to consider 6x45 or 6x47...

Here's my favorite setup:
6x47 lapua
Surgeon action
Kreiger barrel 1-7.5 twist
Jewel trigger
Manners stock
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on top
I love it for shooting yotes! And deer!
b4eb5aaf.jpg

Last edited:
While Surgeon actions are very nice and what I will be using on my next build, there are a host of actions out there that are equally as good and if a guy watches the forums may be able to pick up with a no wait time and possible discount. Stiller, defiance, bat, nesika, to name a few. Unless you are set one way I would watch and a guy can usually pick up most of his components in the forums. If I were building coyote specific I would keep the contour light in whatever barrel maker your comfortable with and rock s 22-243 improved shooting either 75 or 80 grain amax bullets. Ought to put the smack down on the coyotes at any distance a guy should be shooting dogs at.

Brain fart Alert !
Why not a Savage Model: 10/110 Predator Hunter Max 1
in 6.5x284.
Clip magazine
good trigger
good action
accurate
6.5x284 = WOW on Coyote !
24 or 26 inch barrel if custom.
Might be a good starting point for a very nice project.
Just throwing some idea on the table.
good night .

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzkedhughes,
Nice stick.What cal ?

It wouldn't make my specs to call it a LW rig,but still nice.

Sorry its a 6x47 lapua.
Its not the lightest gun, too much barrel. I'm thinking about chopping 2-4" off. I've killed deer at 750 yards with it. I can't wait for a 1000 yard yote!

dhughes, that's a nice rifle!!
What's the contour on the Krieger barrel?
Is that Surgeon bottom metal too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dhughesHere's my favorite setup:
6x47 lapua
Surgeon action
Jewel trigger
Manners stock
b4eb5aaf.jpg

that's a honey...

Originally Posted By: knockemdownOriginally Posted By: dhughesHere's my favorite setup:
6x47 lapua
Surgeon action
Jewel trigger
Manners stock
b4eb5aaf.jpg

that's a honey...
Indeed,
6x47 Lapua in a 1:7.5 twist
Whats youre bullet? How fast do you launch it ?

When I hear light weight I'm thinking 8.5 pounds or under. You can "tote" that for a ways before it gets overbearing. A 12# gun gets heavy QUICK.

Lots of different directions depending on how "light" you want to go. I don't walk for miles a day so for me it's right at the 8# mark. McMillan Classic stock (the new Game Scout looks interesting), Jewel Trigger, #3 Barrel (choose you fav length & maker), "lightish" scope with exposed turrets. Any afternmarket action will be fine as well as a reworked remington (at least on a light hunting gun).

As for caliber, it's hard not to pick something 6mm if you bring up LR. Bullet selection better than any other & no .224" can run with the High BC 6mm bullets.

6x45 is awesome. Great barrel life, easy to shoot, low report. Just fun. Runs low on steam with heavies.
6BR (or variant) has everything going for it other than feeding. By far my favorite.
6x47L Great brass, great velocity, very accurate. Prolly the best all around.
.243WIn (or AI) Great velocity, can be finicky, cheap componants & shelf ammo everywhere
6mm Rem (or AI) HOT, king of 6mm's without getting stupid. Big report shorter barrel life. One of the flattest cartridges out there

I had a .240 Weatherby built for my Coyote gun. I like the Weatherby Cartridges, I handload, and I like speed. The 6mm-06 would have been a good choice, but I didnt want anyone to mix cartridges and I run a .25-06, .280 and .30-06. Having the wrong headstamp could be confusing to my brothers or kids. I had a Remington 700 in .270 Win for my donor rifle that I took to LongRifles Inc for the work. I had a 27" fluted Brux #3 installed with a hunting crown, 1 in 8 twist. The action was trued and a heavy recoil lug was pinned to the action. The barreled action was CNC machined to fit into the original stock for now. The bolt was fluted at LongRifles Inc as well. I had a Jewell trigger installed. I used Remington one piece rings to install the Ziess Conquest Scope. I am very happy with the rifle so far. I expect it to shoot very well. Here are some pictures.

240Weatherby003JPG.jpg

240Weatherby001JPG.jpg

240Weatherby006JPG.jpg

Last edited:
dhughes, that's a nice rifle!!
What's the contour on the Krieger barrel?
Is that Surgeon bottom metal too?

Thanks
Its a light palma. Not sure on the measurements.
Yes its surgeon bottom metal with AI mags.

6x47 Lapua in a 1:7.5 twist
Whats youre bullet? How fast do you launch it ?

I shoot the 105 berger. It shoots at 2850. I could make it shoot faster but its a tack driver where its at.

that's a honey...

Thanks. Her name is Sally.
wink.gif

Here's my idea of a perfect calling rig.

.17rem
Trued 700
PN, SS,1/9", PN LW con finished @ 24".
McM, Mnt rifle stock, ADL, desert camo.
Bolt Ti fluted.
Barreled action coated in coyote tan cerakote.
Talley LW rings
Leupold VXIII 1.75-6*32 HD.

For me, this is my perfect calling rig.
DSC_1081.jpg

Back