cooper 22-250

akaslayer2

Bought a cooper and am having a really hard time getting good groups have been reloading a bunch of different rounds but cant seem to get it tighter than about a 1.25". Called Cooper they gave me the load data what they test with and still not getting it any smaller. Its a 1/12 twist 20 ive been stick with 40-55gr. bullets. Tried noslersm sierras, hornady, and berger. Anyone have this gun or have some suggestions? Thanks

Was this a new Cooper? I would be a bit concerned about a Cooper that shot 1 1/4 inch groups. Everything tight? Bore good and clean? I shoot 36 grains of Varget and a 52 grain Berger in a Tikka and get real good results, you might try that. You might list what combo's of reloads you have tried, maybe a niche there.

Like pyscodog says that gun should be shooting close to same hole with the re-load it likes if you cant get it to.. I would send it back! I have had lots of custom high end rifles I once had one that a paid $2500 and did everything in the world and couldnt get it to shoot better that what you are saying! I have learned it doesnt matter what barrel, stock, action you get if it isnt put together perfectly you might as well go buy a $300 gun!! However you if get top of the line and it is put together properly you will love the gun and never let go of it! I have 3 guns that shoot same hole at 100 I wouldnt get rid of them for anything! Hope you get it figured out.

As has been suggested make sure scope and mounts are tight.

Are you using a scope that you have personally shot groups of less than 1" @ 100 yds. with?

Have you established what the throat is on this rifle? Perhaps working with some OAL's would bring some results.

Although a Cooper should put anything into an inch or less, as long as the weight matches up with your twist, and it sounds like your good there.

Make sure it's free of any copper build-up. One of my Cooper .204's is a real tack driver (acutally both are), but one day accuracy fell off the chart. I checked all the normal things, rings, bases, scope, etc.....but my problem was copper build up. After a GOOD cleaning, it came back around. Something to look at........

I guess I was under the assumption that they were made in house. Unless they manufacture it out are they usually made by someone else?

thanks for the information I will be giving cooper a call today to see if they will help. Im really frustrated its not doing any better, after spending $3000 on a gun and not being able to get it to shoot worth a darn, ive tried everything ill let you know what I come up with

Back